Power Supply kills drives ?

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
Darksun777

Power Supply kills drives ?

Post by Darksun777 »

Hi there,

i have a strange problem with my setup.

I have bought the Kryoflux-Bundle with power-supply.

Some time ago, my floppy drive connected to my kryo died. When i tried to dump disks, the drive made loud and strange noises and didnt work anymore.

i changed the drive and added a second one. everything worked for some time but yesterday BOTH drives was killed at the same time. it was the same problem, both drives are making loud noise and did not work anymore...

Someone told me he had the same issues and the cause was the power supply, which gaves too much voltage at some times and killed the drives.

Is this a known issue?

Any suggestions for another power supply ?

Thanks.
Modeler

Re: Power Supply kills drives ?

Post by Modeler »

I would grab a multimeter and test the 5V and 12V lines at the Molex connector on the PSU. That would give you an answer.
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

Are you sure the drives are really dead? Have you re-tested them elsewhere?

I have had some intermittent odd problems where my 5.25"/3.5" drive + KF will start making odd noises, the activity light will flicker, and the head will seek to the wrong place. The way it behaves I almost think it is fried, but when I power everything down, reseat the power plugs, cables, and start back up, everything is fine again.

Have not gotten to the root of the problem though. But sufficed to say, power and FDC cables were not designed for repeated plugging/unplugging. I suspect just a momentary power glitch can ocasionally be enough to make a drive + KF "unhappy", requiring a complete power cycle.
mr.vince

Post by mr.vince »

If you want to, send it in and we'll replace it if necessary. It's a third party product, so QC etc. is done by the supplier. We've never had this so far, but as with every electronic component things can go wrong.
Darksun777

Post by Darksun777 »

I have checked with multimeter and it shows 12.3V / 5.3V when nothing is attached.

@mr.vince: if this would be possible i would like to do so. please let me know where to ship to.
mr.vince

Post by mr.vince »

You've tested what we would test here. You'll need to connect it, as the voltage is always slightly higher if there's no electrical load connected. If you can, leave the multimeter connected and start a dump. If it does not jump or show any spikes, I would assume the PSU is good.

Our official support address for everything sales related is "store" at our standard domain. Not posting the full address for spam reasons.
ZrX

Post by ZrX »

Just so, are the drives flippy modded 5.25" Panasonic drives?
Darksun777

Post by Darksun777 »

The drives are 3.5 ones
Last edited by Darksun777 on Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rcade

Post by rcade »

I assisted the lady at Emory with some archiving once a couple of years ago and noticed that the 12V and 5V were reversed on their power supply, which burned several of their drives. They said the connectors fell apart and they thought they put them back together correctly.

It's something to check.
-
Pete Rittwage
C64 Preservation Project
http://c64preservation.com
jfgarciamex

Post by jfgarciamex »

Hi, there... I actually faced this situation with one of the Kryoflux power supplies... It kill two TEAC 3.5 floppy drives... After this, I used another power supply, and it is working fine... btw, I bought my kryofull in 2018 and just tried, so checking dates on this post, it may be a bad batch of power supplies...