Error writing Kryoflux stream

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
Kingstener

Error writing Kryoflux stream

Post by Kingstener » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:42 am

Hello,
I had bought the Kryoflux module, because it suggests to be able to write back disks from different Images. Now I tried this with my HFE files, which with the HxC in KF stream file converted, unfortunately only the error message
"terminate called after throwing at instance of 'std :: length_error'
what (): vector <bool> :: _ M_fill_insert
Aborted (core dumped)
"
generate, but no usable floppy disk.
What exactly does this error message mean? Is there a debug switch which can tell me that more precisely??

For example my command line for conversion:
hxcfe -finput:DSKA0000.HFE -conv:KRYOFLUXSTREAM
and for writing:
dtc -fDSKA0000_HFE00.0.raw -w
(However, a conversion from a TD0 file works fine without errors)

Edit:
OK, with the help of Jeff came the realization that the error only occurs with the Linux version of dtc, under Windows this works. Remains probably only the longer way over a virtual Windows under Linux ...

Edit2:
This error seems to affect only the 64bit Linux version of dtc, under 32bit it runs synonymous error-free

It is to be expected that someone from the software makers will revise this or is it better to adapt the using operating system to the matter?
So in the kind of "We're here to help you get the most out of your KryoFlux device." - like up until now...

IFW

Re: Error writing Kryoflux stream

Post by IFW » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:45 pm

It would be great if you could post the file that's causing the error in DTC.
Thanks.

Kingstener

Post by Kingstener » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:05 pm

You do not need there a special image, any HFE file can be taken from the Quick Install Disk Images on the HxC2000 page to test this.
For example, a simple blank PC 1.44MB disk is converted to KFstream:
disk.zip
(541.77 KiB) Downloaded 20 times

IFW

Post by IFW » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:24 pm

Is there a genuine, KryoFlux generated stream file that causes the same problem or is it always the HFE generated ones?

IFW

Post by IFW » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:56 pm

I've looked at this in a debugger, and so far what I've found:
- there is something wrong with the index (or index referenced cell) information in the stream file generated by HFE; index calculations for the last revolution generated go haywire - probably some data that should be present is missing from the generated file
- the stream file is sampled at 296 RPM (it should be clearly 300), which is clearly wrong as well - you can easily see this if you try to decode the stream files and watch the output

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:44 pm

For the record: the formats supported are listed on the website. If some other software creates bogus data files, we are keen on ironing out crashes BUT such fix would be purely to prevent any non-standard termination of the program. We won't support such files. Hope this helps. And yes, we're here to help.

Kingstener

Post by Kingstener » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:25 am

@IFW
This only happens with stream files that are converted from hfe files.
But with the 32bit Linux and Windows version of dtc it works without error.
The error comes only with the 64bit Linux version of dtc - bad luck that this is my standard system...
OK, then I have to build a second computer with 32bit Linux so it can move forward, thanks for the effort ...

@mr.vince
There are just many Images in HFE format, because it was able to master emulating of some abnormal formats.
In the meantime, I have over this way also successfully created floppy disks with somewhat more complicated data structure for old computers. But so far I have to do is always with use the Windows in the VMWARE environment and this is a bit laborious.
Under helpful i understand a hint like in the post from IFW , so someone can specifically search the source of error - although I do not understand why it works with the 32bit System if the file is generally faulty.
I thought the destination of the kryoflux and dtc is data rescue and recovery and not an uncooperative "We won't support such files" :-/
Last edited by Kingstener on Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IFW

Post by IFW » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:34 am

It has nothing to do with 32 vs 64 bit... it's just a symptom, not the cause.
Any recent beta dtc (not yet released, but will be available soon) on any platform crashes with the file you posted as well.
I can confirm that this error is caused by incorrect index signal data in the stream generated by HFE.
I'll fix DTC so it wouldn't crash, however that won't change the fact that the index signal data generated by that tool is incorrect and that may affect other parts of the analyser pipeline in DTC regardless of whether it crashes using the bad data or not...

IFW

Post by IFW » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:44 am

In other words:
1, Don't build a 32 bit machine it just hides an error, but not with new dtc 🙂
2, The converter should be fixed, it is not safe to use bad stream files
3, Dtc shouldn't crash with the bad stream files though so I'll fix that

New dtc will be available soon.

Kingstener

Post by Kingstener » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:07 pm

ok, thanks - hope so I can argue with Jeff to rework the Hxc ;-)