Issues dumping IBM DD disks

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
Guld

Issues dumping IBM DD disks

Post by Guld » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:22 pm

Hey everyone, I just got my Kryoflux a few weeks ago and have been playing around with it. I am running it on a Windows 10 system and have tested it with both 3 1/2" and 5 1/4" drives.

I am currently trying to back up my most difficult disks first and am having a few issues with some of them. For anyone else who is trying to do the same as me, I have discovered through reading various other posts that the following seems to help.

Double density disks (have a "ring" in the center) need -dd1 and -k2
High density disks (no "ring" in the center) need -dd0 and -v360 (default RPM did not work for me)

I am attempting to write img files of the disks and am having issues on some odd balls. One disk in particular is written double sided and double density and has no bad sectors. I can view the disk on my PCjr under DOS2.1 with a 360k disk drive just fine, but the .img file created using the following is not readable.

Code: Select all

DTC.exe -l15 -ftrack -i0 -ftest.img -k2 -i4 -r5 -d0 -p -e83 -t10 -dd1
Note that this was created with the GUI version as I love the fact that it writes a log file. It was set to a MFM sector image with the number of tracks modified to 40 instead of 80.

I am also having some issues created images of some PCjr self booting disks. The disks often seem to read fine but the image files are unusable and are in fact often some really strange sizes which don't make sense. One of my disks which appears to be SSDD is writing out a 2,580KB img file ??? Are they any other settings I should try to play with to try to get usable images out of these?

IFW

Re: Issues dumping IBM DD disks

Post by IFW » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:12 am

Could you please post the stream files for the problem disks?
That way we could take a look and see if there is any problem - there are lots of people archiving disks on this forum!