Altos & Xenix 3.2f

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
aplmak

Altos & Xenix 3.2f

Post by aplmak » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:52 pm

Perhaps someone can help... when I format my disks on the Altos server (circa 1983/4) running Xenix 3.2f it let's me format in either Altos Format, PC-DOS (Xenix) Low Speed, or PC-DOS (Xenix) High Speed... I cannot seem to read my floppies with normal results.. I'm getting "H" and in orange for hidden. I am able to read them.. and the drive is known working and seems to be working fine with Kryoflex... I believe it is running at 300 speed and is only 80 tracks.. Kryoflux I think identified initially at 83 tracks.. Any ideas or possibility we can find out how to get the Altos format added?? I am willing to get whatever files or info needed.. :) Here is a pic of a diskette scanned with Kryoflux in MFM format with the "H" indicating hidden...
IMG_4626.JPG

ZrX

Re: Altos & Xenix 3.2f

Post by ZrX » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:45 pm

H means there's deviation in the sector header gaps which is most often a result of writing to the disk. Other than that there might be a sector size issue.

Could you upload the raw files or just track 0 somewhere for checking?

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:59 pm

"H" means that something has written to the sector. This is normal on user-created disks. If you see this on freshly formatted disks, that probably means the formatter performed a wipe in addition to a low-level format.

The Kryoflux was designed for archiving professionally mastered factory original software titles, so they consider this an "error" indicating a user altered the disk content.

On any disks that did not come out of a professional duplicator, you should ignore the "H" message. It is just paranoia.

If you want to post a preservation stream image of one of these disks, it would be possible to check if there is anything else odd going on.

aplmak

Post by aplmak » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:55 pm

Yes actually these are formatted in Altos and then copied of the originals.. There is no installation key or security on these disks. All the originals had a fine mold on them and I was able to read almost all of them and back them up to a drive.. So I tested the Kryoflux yesterday to read one of my copies and this is what appeared. So what you are saying makes sense.. So technically the data should be there in the image and it read it successfully? I can post an image if someone wants to take a peek..

IFW

Post by IFW » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:45 pm

Sure, we can take a look, but so far it sounds good - just like others said, H basically means one or more sectors have been modified since duplication/formatting.
Duplication/formatting writes one track completely; re-writing a sector always breaks this flow, in the data and/or the time domain - the host software checks both and issues a warning about modification if there is any inconsistency (compared to how the rest of a track is written).

aplmak

Post by aplmak » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:29 pm

Where can I submit the image file to for examination?? I can't attach it to a post..

ZrX

Post by ZrX » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:26 pm

There are sites such as sendspace.com that can be used to easily share files up to 300MB or so.