kryoflux-ui.jar with macOS 10.13 and JDK 9

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
JDW

Re: kryoflux-ui.jar with macOS 10.13 and JDK 9

Post by JDW »

I am running Mac OS X High Sierra on my mid-2015 MBP and can confirm that the patched version of the JAR file finally launches without error when using JDK14. Even so, it seems Kryoflux doesn't work with Apple 400K and 800K drives, despite what is written on the Compatibility page. :?

brightcaster

Post by brightcaster »

You should see it as a feature not a bug. Kryoflux doesn't need original apple floppy drives to read 400/800k apple floppies! It does it with cheap standard PC drives!

It's the apple drive which is not supported not the format itself...

David

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

That is a list of supported formats, not drives.

If a machine used a standard media type, you don't need its drive.

JDW

Post by JDW »

SomeGuy wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 5:39 pm
That is a list of supported formats, not drives.
Well, if that is true, and such would imply Kryoflux is NOT compatible with Macintosh 400K or 800K disks seeing that compatibility page only says “Apple DOS” which is an Apple II disk format totally incompatible with the Macintosh.

More specifically, the word “ MacIntosh“ is not mentioned at all on the compatibility page. Could you please explain why not?

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

The Apple 400k/800k encoding was used on the Apple II with ProDOS, P-System, GS/OS, and probably others, as well as the Apple Lisa and the Macintosh.

I think there was also a way to stick AppleSoft DOS in there, but I never used that. (Probably why they say "DOS" on that list)

The Kryoflux can decode ALL of these to IMG files, when read in using an IBM PC style 3.5" drive.

So it is not just a format for Macintosh.

JDW

Post by JDW »

I would still argue that the Compatibility page needs an update. If Mac is included in overall 400K/800K compatibility, there's no good reason NOT to add the word "Mac" along side "DOS" on that single line.

Here's what that page says now:

Apple DOS 3.2
Apple DOS 3.3+ (including DSK with interleave)
Apple DOS 400K/800K (CLV)

It's all "DOS" and such leaves the reader to think, "Oh, the Mac isn't specifically mentioned, yet DOS is pounded on 3 times. Therefore, the Mac must NOT be included."

I am happy to hear that Mac compatibility is real with Kryoflux (albeit with particular floppy drives only), but it is not a logical deduction to think the Mac is included when you say the word DOS 3 times on 3 separate lines. That page needs an update!

brightcaster

Post by brightcaster »

Well, the 400/800k format is by far not mac specific! It was used on the lisa too, after the infamous twiggy drive was discountinued.

There also was a 800k drive introduced in 1985 for the apple II (ProDOS), months before it was available for the mac!

So it's not a mac format but a apple format which was used on ProDOS, lisa-OS and mac-OS at least...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh ... Disk_Drive

https://apple2online.com/web_documents/ ... drives.pdf

David

EDIT: Sri SomeGuy didn't see that you mentioned it all before ;-)

JDW

Post by JDW »

You are only arguing my case for me, David! :-) In light of what you said, I would argue that the words “Lisa“ and “Mac“ need to be added to the compatibility page.

But I still think if only one word were to be chosen that word should be “Mac“ because the Mac is by far the most popular computer of the three mentioned that people would associate with. And although one could argue that the Apple II series was popular “back in the day,“ the fact remains that many people used the 5 1/4 inch floppy drives, not the 3 1/2 inch which came later. The Mac only used 3 1/2 inch floppy disks.

So to repeat, the compatibility page should be updated for clarity.