Apple II DOS 5.25 in. floppy disks

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
adamsabi

Apple II DOS 5.25 in. floppy disks

Post by adamsabi » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:04 pm

I have a bunch of Apple II DOS 5.25 in. floppies, which I was able to get a stream from and convert to an Apple DOS 3.3 sector image. I cannot extract the files, though, and when I try to view the sector image in a text editor, it's full of Greek (I think) characters. Below is a link to download the stream files. Would anyone analyze this for me and let me know if you think the disk has just succumbed to bit rot or there's something else going on here?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wan4nc6ij8uge ... s.zip?dl=0

Thanks, Abby

spags

Re: Apple II DOS 5.25 in. floppy disks

Post by spags » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:58 am

Short answer, it looks fine to me.

The disk appears to contain some sort of text data, like something saved from some sort of word processor. There is also some assembly language style code as well (strangely saved in a binary format), but just small snippets of it. You can view these by opening the sector-based file in an application called CiderPress. Google it.

What I see is largely and substantially normal "English" text/characters. There are the odd unusual bits of strings, which I guess could be incorrect reads, but most of those are normal and more likely to be special formatting characters from whatever word processor it was written with. Below are a couple of examples of what I see:
.cj

F I S K A D O R O

A Novel by Denis Johnson
.ff

.lj

.li1

\Send along my salary
On the waters of oblivion\. . .
.l12
--Bob Dylan

.ff
.cj
.lj
Even Belinda was among them, smiling shyly through her tears. Fiskadoro watched her, thinking nothing, as she forgot herself and chased forward to the rope that emerged from the water, raising the hem of her shift and kicking her feet out sideways as she ran pigeon-toed through the knee-high tide. "\Fish\-a! \Fish\-a! \Fish\-a!" The sweat poured from Fiskadoro's hair; the muscles in his back and down his arms ached at first, and then for a while burned furiously, and then went numb.
///Page #/ p center/top right/ UC/LC
;*
SETCAS CMP #C0
BCC EXIT
BIT *CASFLG
BVS TOLC
CMP #E0
BCC EXIT
SBC #20
JMP EXIT
bot left/bot center/bot right/ EXIT RTS
;;
MOVE LEFT
;*
LEFT JSR *DECLOF
JSR *DECCHR
LDA (*LOPTR),Y
CMP *EOF
BNE OK
JMP * i > , @
SR *SETCAS
OK2 STA (*HIPTR),Y
%

ZrX

Post by ZrX » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:02 am

Disk itself contains short 6502 code and warning that the disk is not bootable at the first sector. The rest of the disk seem to be filled with text. Everything except the 6502 code is XORed with 0x80.

adamsabi

Post by adamsabi » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:11 pm

Oh, wow, okay! I see Greek letters throughout when I open it in a text editor. I wonder why CiderPress works and not a hex editor or text editor.

spags

Post by spags » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:44 pm

Probably something to do with "DOS 3.3 "high ASCII" text to Windows text" listed as a feature for the softwares built-in file viewer/converter.