TA ScreenTyper 5.25 in. floppies

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
ZrX

Re: TA ScreenTyper 5.25 in. floppies

Post by ZrX » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:08 pm

Ah, you're correct. Downloaded some random CP/M disks and they have similar directory layout.

http://www.moria.de/~michael/cpmtools/

With these I'm able to list files from the disks but extracting them results in incorrectly sorted sectors.

adamsabi

Post by adamsabi » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:36 pm

So if I understand this correctly, KryoFlux software cannot convert the stream files to an image I can extract the actual files from with a tool like FTK but I could do this with Supercopy IF I had a native MS-DOS PC (which I don't, not sure how I would find one).

Also, I'm unclear as to what you mean by "DTC can decode the disk as is". Haven't been using the KryoFlux for that long so I don't understand all the language yet.

Thanks for your help with this,
Abby

brightcaster

Post by brightcaster » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:22 pm

Kryflux does in deed decode the streamfiles! DTC is the command line interface. If you prefere the graphical user interface go to file/settings and choose "mfm sector image" but change the track distance to 40 and you will get a proper image. Dont be mislead by the yellow H boxes. That only means that the tracks have been modified after formatting the disk!

There is a bad track 0 on the 2nd disk but this track is only needed for booting the cpm system on the original screentyper I think. You will get 400k images (512byte,10 sectors, 40 tracks, 2 sides).

But after that you will probably get stuck with getting the files of that image, as there ist no decoder (at least I know of) to extract them!

That's why I mentioned supercopy, wich reads directly from disk on a pure MSDOS machine. Also Alien might do the trick, wich ist a similar program wich also claims to exctract files from screentyper disks. In both cases you also need a single density double sided 40 track 5,25" drive...

David

adamsabi

Post by adamsabi » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:44 pm

I was able to convert the streams to an MFM sector image, like you suggested. I'm definitely stuck with determining how to extract the files since I don't have an the system or drive I'd need. Sounds like I may have to give up on these for now. Thanks again, Abby

adamsabi

Post by adamsabi » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:46 pm

I was actually able to open the MFM sector image in a text editor. I can't tell exactly how many files are there but I see coherent text along with some gobbledygook which I assume has to do with formatting. Wow!

ZrX

Post by ZrX » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:31 am

Not sure what the secret with cpmtools is but when trying to copy a file it claims the first file on the disk to be out of disk image boundary even tho the file starts right from the first available sector.

brightcaster

Post by brightcaster » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:04 am

I'm not sure which format I should use with cpmtools. Have you selected one from the list in the defintions file or did you create your own? I always get the error message: "invalid OS type `2'"

David
Last edited by brightcaster on Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

ZrX

Post by ZrX » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:22 am

I tried some that had suitable parameters and also tried creating a custom but no luck yet. Should look into what the skew and os parameters really do.

brightcaster

Post by brightcaster » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:27 am

In the scopy_335.zip file (you googled and downloaded allready I guess) is a subfolder called "VP" with a file called selectdat.xls which is an excel table describing the file formats that scopy can handle (including the SCREENT format). But the rows are not named and therfore its not of much help. Only a few parameters are self explanatory (like min and max track and the skewtables). BTW there is now skew with the sreentyper!

If we could interprete this table it may be possible to add al lot of obscure cp/m filesystems to the definitions file of cpmtools I guess!

David

ZrX

Post by ZrX » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:28 am

After just trying out things I finally got the files copied using blocksize of 2048.