Ripping Atari ST DSDD disks: seeking best practices

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
sds

Ripping Atari ST DSDD disks: seeking best practices

Post by sds » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:36 pm

Hi! I received my KryoFlux board recently, and I've been able to pull data off a few disks. It's been great! Now that I've got the basics down, I'm looking for pointers or tips for best practices so I can archive/replicate my disk collection as reliably and systematically as possible.

What I have:
  • I have my kryoflux and a Sony MPF920-E drive.
  • I have a few hundred double-sided, double-density Atari ST disks
  • I've been pulling disk content via the GUI, to image type 0 (stream files, preservation), then converting those to type 2 (CT Raw).
  • I've been able to verify that things appear to run with the CT Raw images in Hatari 2.x, built with capsimage 5.x.
This is a simple pipeline, and I'm pleased that most of the disks I've tried so far seem to work well!

My problem: I've quickly realised that a disk might not rip 100% correctly first time around, but might work a second or third time. I've read a lot of stuff on using different types of drives, cleaning disks, etc, but I'm not sure how much is good advice, and how much is mythology!

My question: Before I go too deep, what 'best practices' do folks have for ripping disks and testing the contents? I'm particularly interested in Atari ST disks, if folks have Atari-specific tooling. Anybody got any pointers?

IFW

Re: Ripping Atari ST DSDD disks: seeking best practices

Post by IFW » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:21 pm

Actually that's quite a long topic...
I've asked a few of our (SPS) leading archivists to give some advice.

sds

Post by sds » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:24 pm

IFW wrote:Actually that's quite a long topic...
That's the thing. I've read a lot. I'm not sure how much of the advice is useful, and how much is not :-)
I've asked a few of our (SPS) leading archivists to give some advice.
Excellent, thanks!

BarryB

Post by BarryB » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:03 pm

I dumped a mates ST disks using -i4 and fed the streams into a program called Aufit v1.3 by DrCoolZic that shows on a grid if the disk is unprotected (green) or protected/bad (orange), similar to the KF GUI! You could then redump any orange tracks to see if they turned green if you knew the disk was unprotected or just save as an .STX file and test! If most of the disk was orange (or just T0 or T79) you can save as an .STX file so protection gets saved! I had some unprotected disks show some orange tracks but could only save as .STX rather than .ST for unprotected disks. There is a PDF manual in the archive that explains this tool in a lot more detail.

Grab it here:
http://info-coach.fr/atari/software/pc- ... it-1.3.rar

However, I only tested in STEEM and most loaded but 2 never worked, Microprose Golf and Leonardo.

ZrX

Post by ZrX » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:19 pm

For the thing about consecutive reads:

I've seen it many times with different media that the first read comes up with errors but after re-reading the disk there are fewer or no errors at all. Even with clean looking disks.

Not really sure why that is.

sds

Post by sds » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:22 pm

BarryB wrote:I dumped a mates ST disks using -i4 and fed the streams into a program called Aufit v1.3 by DrCoolZic
This looks really neat! Been a while since I've had a Windows machine lying around though. I might have to push hard and try to make it fly under wine/mono! (Sadly: unhelpful error messages from the runtime on my first-pass.)

sds

Post by sds » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:25 pm

ZrX wrote:For the thing about consecutive reads:

I've seen it many times with different media that the first read comes up with errors but after re-reading the disk there are fewer or no errors at all. Even with clean looking disks.
Yes, I've definitely seen this. The problem is that it makes the reads nondeterministic! It's probably acceptable with one or two disks. I'm hoping to archive a bunch, though.

I'm pretty sure I have a disk or two that have read out with different bad sectors each time. I think I'm really looking for a useful way to do integrity checking on the format, and/or pick-and-choose sectors from multiple reads.