"No disk in drive"

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
Iggi

"No disk in drive"

Post by Iggi » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:26 pm

I recently changed the floppy drive connected to the KryoFlux board when dumping several old data floppy discs. However since then I cannot dump any images any more: The GUI only shows the message
No disk in drive
and dtc on the command line prints
00.0 : The streaming device reported missing index - no disk in drive
00.0 : Read operation failed
Drive calibration still works though.

Connecting the previous or any other floppy drive did not change the message, neither did using other floppy cables, floppy discs or USB ports. I'm really out of ideas now - is there anything else I can try? Or do I have to assume I damaged the board when changing the drive, as I'm not sure if I really disconnected the power before removing the data cable?

BarryB

Re: "No disk in drive"

Post by BarryB » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:40 pm

Always disconnect power from the drive and USB from the PC BEFORE changing anything! A 3", 3.5" and some 5.25" floppy disks that have become detached from the hub could give the 'no disk in drive' error but since you say you have tried different floppy disks and drives then it sounds like you may have damaged the board! What size drive is it?

Try uninstalling the Kryoflux driver from your system and go through the setup from scratch! Attach the KF board via USB, install the driver, do dtc -c2 to check it's working at that point then disconnect and re-connect as normal:

Floppy cable to the drive and Kryoflux first
then USB to Kryoflux and PC
then Power to the drive last!

Then try dumping a known good disk, if you get the same problem try on another system if possible! If you have changed everything but the KF board and still get problems then it does point to a damaged board unfortunately!

Hopefully someone else or from the SPS team might be able to offer advise!

Iggi

Post by Iggi » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:58 pm

Thanks for helping out!

This happens with 3.5'' disk floppy drives, I currently don't have access to any other formats.
I'm using a Linux system, so there's no driver to install / uninstall. Unfortunately the remaining steps are the normal setup procedure I've tried so many times without success now...
I guess the conclusion is I really damaged the board. Would it be worth sending it in, or should I buy another one?

spags

Post by spags » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:43 pm

On the small chance that it has happened, check for any bent pins on the floppy connector of your Kryoflux? While you are checking that, see if they all look clean as well. Also to state the obvious, make sure you are connecting the floppy cable the right way - I don't know what the consequences are of the wrong-way-round, but it might be worth the mention.

BarryB

Post by BarryB » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:14 pm

You should be using 'keyed' floppy cables anyway for 3.5" drives then you can't get it the wrong way around as the KF board has a keyed connector and all the 3.5" drives I've come across have been keyed too! Bent pins is a possibility as is the pins on the board becoming detached due to a dry joint or broken trace.

Also, the KF board should be put on a non-conductive surface, I use a wooden board and the plastic bag it came in to rest it on while dumping as well as the drives as I can't have mine permanently setup!

drdanj

Post by drdanj » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:44 am

Are you sure the motor's spinning? I use a straight through floppy cable with mine for 5.25 and 3.5" drives, but it didn't get on with my Amstrad 3" drive - it would calibrate, but it wasn't actually running the motor, hence the no disk inserted issues. I ended up having to dig out one with a twist in it to get it playing ball (it was basically down to drive select/motor enable not being quite right for that drive).

BarryB

Post by BarryB » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:01 pm

drdanj wrote:Are you sure the motor's spinning? I use a straight through floppy cable with mine for 5.25 and 3.5" drives, but it didn't get on with my Amstrad 3" drive - it would calibrate, but it wasn't actually running the motor, hence the no disk inserted issues. I ended up having to dig out one with a twist in it to get it playing ball (it was basically down to drive select/motor enable not being quite right for that drive).
I use a straight cable with my Amstrad FD-1 3" drive and have no issues with the motor not spinning? Have you disconnected the 5v connector from the 34pin / 26pin board inside the 3" drive?

Iggi

Post by Iggi » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:21 am

@spags, @BarryB: It shouldn't be the pins, they all look straight (except for the one missing pin that is labelled as such). The floppy cable is keyed, though some of my floppy drives are not ;) I've always determined the correct direction though.
I'm using the KryoFlux on a wooden or plastic surface (i.e. my table or my scanner), though I've ordered a case now to be sure.

@drdanj: I think it's the motor I hear when I try to read the disc. At least the sound is different from calibrating the drive and it sounds like I would expect it from a spinning drive...

I guess I'll have to buy another KryoFlux - I'm out of ideas now.

BarryB

Post by BarryB » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:46 pm

Darn! Sounds like you really have killed it and sent it to Silicon Heaven :( Does pressing the 'reset' button do anything? I've seen a surface mounted fuse on the board, about 10mm into the board from the center of the JTAG connector, the board has FUSE printed on it and the fuse itself has FD written on it so I guess you could have blown that?

Might be worth contacting SPS and sending it back for a check up?

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:04 am

If you blow the fuse the board won't do anything.

If the rest is working I'd suspect a broken cable OR a damages bus driver (IC on the board). Still that's pretty pretty rare and highly unlikely.