What is 'L2' on a Panasonic JU-475-5? I've dislodged mine!

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
BarryB

What is 'L2' on a Panasonic JU-475-5? I've dislodged mine!

Post by BarryB » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:41 pm

Just going to dump a C64 disk and I've managed to catch 'L2' while plugging in the power and break one of the legs from the board :roll:

Circled the component in Red:

I've taken the board out of the drive and managed to unsolder it then trim the bottom off the heat shrink (I think that's what it is) that covers it so more of the leg is exposed, it now sits flush to the board and I could solder it back in, it just holds it. Re-assembled and dumped a known working disk and no issues while dumping or creating the G64 which runs in WinVICE so the component isn't causing issues yet, but would like to get a component with a longer leg to so I know it's soldered in!!

I believe it's either a ferrite bead, coil or choke but does anyone know exactly what it is so I can get a replacement or an alternative to the one shown?

ZrX

Re: What is 'L2' on a Panasonic JU-475-5? I've dislodged mine!

Post by ZrX » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:17 pm

Just a coil removing some possible interference from the power lines. Can even be replaced with a piece of wire in worst case if lost without any significant side-effects if you have an ok powersupply.

BarryB

Post by BarryB » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:40 pm

The PSU is the one that came with the Kryoflux, Phobya 12v/5v with the splitter for two 3.5" drives!

So if it's not connected will the drive just not work then? Found something that 'looks' to be the same:

http://www.sinequanon.co.uk/5uh-2a-squa ... ng-x4.html but without the heat shrink!

brightcaster

Post by brightcaster » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:55 pm

Yes, if the coil is disconnected the drive will not work because there will be no 12V power supply on the board.

I would agree that shortening the two legs of the coil with a wire is okay if powered by a separate PSU. Other drives don't have that coil at all...

Regards, David

BarryB

Post by BarryB » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:06 am

Yes, I see now that 12v has to go through the coil to power the drive, so if the drive doesn't power up I'll know why. If that coil does come loose I'll either extend the existing leg with a piece of wire snipped off a resistor or just remove it and solder in a wire link.

Thanks for the help!