A few Apple 5.25 floppies can't be detected

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
spags

Re: A few Apple 5.25 floppies can't be detected

Post by spags » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:32 am

Yes it is quite difficult to tell if the disk is actually spinning. One trick I have used is to dry a tiny "drop" of isopropyl alcohol somewhere very close to the hub at a single location. The evaporation mark left behind can help to see if the disk is actually rotating in the drive (although it is still a difficult determination).

If you got similar noise from the floppy when using the disk in the Disk ][ drive, then SomeGuy's suggestion makes a lot of sense (especially given that you have transplanted the cookie to a new jacket). There must be something on the surface of the media (not necessarily macroscopic).

Just take note of SomeBuy's earlier comment about water temperature. You don't want to warp your media by using literally hot water. It would probably be wise to start with warm water to see if it improves the situation. Do both sides, even if it is only a single sided disk.

arbeleg

Post by arbeleg » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:34 pm

OK, I've tried cleaning the cookie with warm (not hot) distilled water and a few cotton swabs (checking carefully to make sure no filaments were left behind). Seemed like a bit of extra stuff came off on the swabs, but it didn't result in successful reading. I've also experimented with gently lifting the drive head to reduce friction. Didn't seem like it helped much. The noise might have gone down a bit, but barely noticeable, and it might be wishful thinking on my part.

I have a CFFA 3000 card for my Apple //e that can image Apple floppies to a USB stick, and I tried making a sector-by-sector copy of the floppy using an original Disk ][, but got lots of errors and only a few sectors successfully read, and nothing recoverable. I'm thinking the disk is a lost cause at this point, and may just move on to see if others (with more precious data) can be saved.

If there's any last minute advice, I'm happy to consider it. If not, thank you tremendously for your patient and guidance. Hopefully the other floppies will go more smoothly.

spags

Post by spags » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:05 am

So the "no disk in drive" problem disappeared after your cleaning or was it still a problem?

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:21 am

It's unfortunate that didn't work, although that disk was probably already beyond help anyway.

It is still a little odd that it only screeches in the PC drive, and if it is really that bad I would expect the magnetic surface to have already shed in piles.

I wasn't really talking about just wiping it down. If you have given up on that one disk you might just try again with larger amounts of hotter water. And I'd just use tap water unless you have some serious junk in your tap water. (Don't use soap, though) I've never run in to a problem with mineral residue but since it is out of the jacket just wiping it down would get all of that. At this point the surface is probably already FUBARed, but it would be interesting to see if anything could get it to stop screeching.

If it were me, I would experiment a little more before moving on to a more important disk, as they might have the same issue.