Amstrad FD-1 & Kryoflux for dumping Spectrum +3 disks

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
BarryB

Amstrad FD-1 & Kryoflux for dumping Spectrum +3 disks

Post by BarryB » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:07 am

Looking for any advice on correctly setting up the FD-1 and dumping Spectrum + disks!

I gather there is some connector in the FD-1 that needs to be unplugged to prevent +5v going down the ribbon cable. I have a cable with a 5.25" connector on one end (no polarising key) and 34 pin FDC connector on the other (not keyed) but I gather it has to be connected correctly as I've read the +3 has the edge connector pinouts set 180° to normal so needs a non polarised connector as you have to turn it 'upside down' on the +3 as a polarised one will connect it wrongly?

Also, what's the dtc command for dumping +3 disks? Is it something like -i0 -g0 -e41?

Any advice appreciated.
Last edited by BarryB on Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

breiztiger

Re: Amstard FD-1 & Kryoflux for dumping Spectrum +3 disks

Post by breiztiger » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:44 pm

hi

i dump cpc disk with this commandline, and some Spectrum disk i've already dump

dtc -f3pcpc/track -p -g0 -i0 -g0 -i2 -g0 -i4 -s0 -e41 -l8

BarryB

Post by BarryB » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:21 pm

Why 3 x g0?

Wouldn't this do the same thing: dtc -p -f3pcpc/track -i0 -g0 -i4 -e41 -l8

dlfrsilver

Post by dlfrsilver » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:49 am

There is a script to use, because every dump made for CPC or Spectrum has to be uploaded with the informations relative to itself for preservation.

It's a file *.BAT called DoDumpCPC.bat

This script is available on the forum to download.

BarryB

Post by BarryB » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:02 pm

Next question then, how do you connect the FD-1 to Kryoflux? The 34pin floppy connector on the back of the FD-1 has no notch so I can't use any of my existing 3.5" FDC cables without slicing off the raised lug! If I do that does the pin 1 /red stripe go to the right looking at the back of the FD-1 as Pin 1 is Top Right on the pinouts I've seen. The FDC cable will plug into the Kryoflux end as normal using the keyed connector.

Also, do I have to unplug the 5v from inside the drive that I've read about or is that only when connecting the FD-1 to a Spectrum +3?

Having never used an FD-1 or dumped +3 disks i'm wary of damaging the drive or my Kryoflux if I connect it wrongly.

Edit: So I unplugged the little 2pin connector on the 26-34 board in the FD-1, sliced off the key on one of my 34 pin cables and setup for dumping. Only issue was the connector to the FD-1 needed to have the red stripe on the LEFT!

Dumped Hellfire Attack as a test, Side A shows T0 with 1 bad sector and *I rest of Side A shows MFM: <mismatch>, *N with Side B showing all tracks *H so this might be a bad disk or copy protection?

Next was an unknown compilation, this was Disk 4 of the compilation, shows 9 sector MFM on both sides and no errors so appears to be a good dump!

Have uploaded both dumps to: SPECTRUM/BarryB on the SPS server if anyone wants to check them!