Issues writing raw streams

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
SLC

Issues writing raw streams

Post by SLC » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:57 pm

Hi

I've been trying to write raw streams of some x68000 stuff since there's no IPF files or similar available for it. The disks failed and I think I may have figured out why. I tried writing raw stream from a 1541 formatted C64-disk too, which also failed. When looking at a dump of the newly written disk, there was always ONE sector missing or faulty, leading me to think that somehow there's a slight overlap when writing raw streams.

I have already ruled out alignment issues of the drives by help of zrx. Writing G64 files works just fine. Also re-reading these disks again is fine.

If there is indeed an overlap happening when writing raw streams, are there any workarounds for this? The drive I'm using is a Panasonic of which model I can't remember, but it's flippy modded.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

IFW

Re: Issues writing raw streams

Post by IFW » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:49 am

The obvious question: have you tried to write to a different disk?

It would be also useful to see the original stream files and the stream files from a disk dumped after the write.

SLC

Post by SLC » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:04 am

Yes. Tried several disks. Both SD and HD (with both -dd0 and -dd1). I did obviously not try writing DD to HD and vice versa :)

What disk would you want to see? The X68000 stream I'm trying to write? Or will a dump of a C64 disk with the same results be just as good? Or both? :) I'm happy to provide you with anything that will be useful to see if you can find out what happens.

rcade

Post by rcade » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:40 am

This won't work with non-index aligned disks, I don't think. Unless IFW has added track cycle detection...?
-
Pete Rittwage
C64 Preservation Project
http://c64preservation.com

SLC

Post by SLC » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:58 am

Ah.. this might explain a lot. It's odd that the X68000 disk should be non-index aligned, though. Especially if it should have come from an original (I do not know the source of them, I was handed the images). Is there a way to find out?

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:22 pm

Process them in the GUI, look at the scatter plot. If the gap is somewhere in the middle of the track, it's not index aligned.

And there's something better than track cycle detection coming up. ;)

SLC

Post by SLC » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:42 pm

Any chance that might come up before may 14th? ;) I have an X68000 available that I really want to have up and running on a retro games convention, but no suitable games, only a few raw images which I can't seem to make a working copy of. I will check them for gap in the middle of tracks with GUI and see if that might explain something. Thanks for the feedback :)

Update: had a look, and it seems aligned to me. I will try writing this one and re-dump it again, and supply the result.

SLC

Post by SLC » Tue May 10, 2016 3:22 pm

An update here.. I read an original x68000 disk and found no errors while reading it, but when writing it back to real floppy again it was the same. Lots of bad sectors. Now I'm wondering if it may be my drive that isn't too happy about writing HD disks or if there is something else going wrong... I can supply links to both the original dump and the disk I wrote raw back. If there's a solution to this, I'd be very happy to know :)

For anyone interested in having a look, just let me know and I'll PM the links...

ZrX

Post by ZrX » Tue May 10, 2016 6:44 pm

Is my quick observation correct that if a disk needs -v360 to make something out of the raw data, -v360 is also required when writing the raw data?

SLC

Post by SLC » Tue May 10, 2016 7:48 pm

Confirmed that it created valid disks for me. Thanks :)