Unable to read any Amiga disks, please help!

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
MarzSyndrome

Re: Unable to read any Amiga disks, please help!

Post by MarzSyndrome » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:30 pm

spags wrote:Go check out the "Bad floppies :(" post in the Dumping forum - I meant to post that here.
Just looked at your post. Quite detailed I must say. Although I'm one of those people who'd feel more comfortable following a video guide or a picture-heavy guide just so I know exactly what I'm supposed to be touching and when. I can buy some isopropyl from Maplin but I wouldn't know where to get one of those snap-lock bags with silica gel. That said, I might hold back from cleaning floppies for the time being just in case they're not the problem (like I said, certain floppies dumped pretty much perfectly before, and it's not really a case of tons of bad sectors being found (in which case I'd up the retry count by hundreds) and more to do with tracks being comfortably read but their contents not being correctly analysed).
My guess would have been cable as well. I have seen a bent pin on an internal SCSI interface being bent right down almost at the bottom of the pin, thereby being almost impossible to notice since the plug would insert almost all the way in. My only suggestion would be to check that all the pins on your Kryoflux look fine.
If it's of any related concern, I have noticed the odd difficulty sometimes with reconnecting the PSU to the Molex cable because the pins inside the Molex plug don't appear perfectly level with one another, hence my occasionally gently easing them back to the middle position if I know I can't get a successful (and comfortable) connection. However, I noticed this long before the current problems started happening. If it does turn out to be the PSU's fault, I'd love to know a reliable seller to buy another from just so I avoid a repeat of the initital eBay fiasco when I first started out.

IFW

Post by IFW » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:33 pm

It would be great if you could share the stream files for a few of those tracks that are bad - I could use them as test cases.

IFW

Post by IFW » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:34 pm

Sorry, posting to the wrong thread here as well :)

spags

Post by spags » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:52 pm

It only takes one (particularly bad) floppy to clog up your drive heads.

I was actually referring to your 34-pin floppy cable connector pins on the Kryoflux itself, not the power supply pins (although I understand what you mean about the Molex pin spread and that was probably a good thing to consider). It may happen to be that the pin(s) responsible for head reads is bent. Although it seems unlikely, the particular case I observed in the SCSI problem above happened to be a pin near the middle of the pin array (not at the end).