Mac: USB endpoint not found

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
SomeGuy

Re: Mac: USB endpoint not found

Post by SomeGuy » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:17 pm

I'm not a mac guy, but I have watched over the ages as Apple have changed from platform to plaform and repeatedly broke backwards compatiblity with software. I've watched as software product after software product either abandoned Macintosh or decided not to port products in the first place due to similar or worse problems. Macintosh has never been a long term stable development platform.

One would think that today there would be little reason to change or break things. There is no radically new CPU architecture they might jump to. Most of the I/O devices are well defined. Etc.

But from the stories I have heard, the latest MacOS X breaks all kinds of things for no good reason.

The really sad thing here is that (as I understand it) this is something that is supposed to work, is supposedly "supported", and Apple knows about it. But the poor abused Apple users are so used to this sort of thing they , out of habit, are probably already chanting "it must be oooooollddd, and we need neeeeew things".

At any rate, you all would be completely justified dropping Mac support. And I'm even a little surprised Kryoflux supported it in the first place.

Dominus

Post by Dominus » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:02 pm

thanks for chiming in with some generic Apple bashing. Helps a lot.

Latest OS X did not break all kind of things, Apple rewrote the USB stack to make it better and screwed up. So there were good reasons, they "just" did it wrong. Hopefully they will recognize this and roll it back. They did this with the DNS something in OS X 10.10 (rewrote to make it better) which they only rolled back to the working old way on the fifth update.

Seeing this as a justification to drop OS X support is way too harsh. it's actually not really surprising to see OS X support when the code is there for Linux and the GUI is written in Java -> easy portability...

Edit: only reply to Someguy, I overlooked MrVince's reply

IFW

Post by IFW » Mon May 02, 2016 10:33 am

I think (hope!) Apple will fix it.
It's highly unrealistic that 1000s of software vendors should add a work around instead of the OS vendor, things that no doubt will be completely broken once Apple either fixes or rolls back the changes in the USB stack.
As far as I can see, right now the only solution would be to check each and every OS update, and define a specific behavior for a specific range of OS releases, and something different for any other OS release... does not sound very promising imho :)

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Mon May 02, 2016 9:26 pm

Dominus wrote:Seeing this as a justification to drop OS X support is way too harsh. it's actually not really surprising to see OS X support when the code is there for Linux and the GUI is written in Java -> easy portability...

Edit: only reply to Someguy, I overlooked MrVince's reply
Just for the record... my main workstation and office computer is an iMac 27" 2010. I really like the machine for its ease of use, so hopefully this sheds the right light on my post above. It gives me grief that I might be the one that will (financially) pull the plug.

Still does not help; we changed from libusb to native code support to avoid all the stress and hassle we'd get (kernel panic in case of the device not responding as Apple expected it to do).

Putting in hours and hours of work into something that does not enhance but repair damage is not what we can afford right now. We've opened a support case with Apple.

Dominus

Post by Dominus » Tue May 03, 2016 8:05 am

mr.vince, sorry, my anger was directed at someguy. IMO his post was the generic anti Apple post, all complete with Apple users belitteling. This adds nothing to the discussion except annoyance.

OTOH, I understand and respect your point of view. When it's not economic for the developer to work around Apple's fault, then there is not much that can counter this ;(
And "Apple is foo, they did bar, we can't afford to fix their bar" is a way better reason than "Apple is foobar - drop support".

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Sun May 29, 2016 7:36 pm

Good news,

our fellow Mac expert has worked around Apple's latest mess and created a version that is compatible with 10.11.

I'd like to see it tested on a couple of machines before we release it.

Please email me at cb AT kryoflux DOT com if you want to test it.

Rakki

Post by Rakki » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:09 pm

Taken it under test and submitted feedback (testing on El Capitan 10.11.5).

Dominus

Post by Dominus » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:25 am

hooray! applying now...

Alan G

Post by Alan G » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:20 am

Hi.
Sorry to re-open this old thread. I had a look around and couldn't see anything more recent.
I just purchased my Kryoflux board and have two Mac computers at home - a Desktop running El Capitan (10.11.6) and a Laptop running Sierra (10.12.2)
I downloaded the latest DTC software and the following happens:

When plugging in the Kryoflux to my Desktop and, via the Terminal, entering dtc -c2 I get the DarwinUSBComm::FindEP: error while opening e00002c5 error message.
When plugging in to my laptop and repeating the same process, I get a Kernel Panic and the computer restarts…

I have tried to debug this on my Desktop using USBProber and I can confirm that the Kryoflux board is seen by the OS as a High Speed device - Communication device from Atmel Corporation

Any clues or information I can provide to help move this forward?

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:32 pm

Yes, stop the OS from loading other drivers. I must assume some other driver is hooking the device.