Mac: USB endpoint not found

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
Malban

Mac: USB endpoint not found

Post by Malban » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:43 pm

Hello!

Last days I got my Kyroflux device. But Ive got problems getting it to work.
I followed strictly the setup routines, but I allways get the same error upon the first calibration attempt.

I use a Mac with the latest Mac OSX (El Capitan, namely 10.11.2).

When I to a:

Code: Select all

"dtc -2"
I allways get the response:

Code: Select all

dtc -c2
DarwinUSBComm: Error while opening: (e00002c5)
USB endpoint not found
I have a workaround so this is not really bothering me all THAT much, but still I would like to get it running natively.

Thanks for your help.

Malban

PS.
Workaround is to start Parallels (Windows emulation package) and have it all run under windows emulation (Win XP) - there it works on the selfsame Mac like a charm :-).

mr.vince

Re: Mac: USB endpoint not found

Post by mr.vince » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:54 am

Please read the download page and check for supported OS versions. El Capitan is not 10.10. Apple has broken USB handling in 10.11. Please use a supported version of Mac OS X or help by asking Apple to fix their USB stack. There are other apps using USB that are "broken" due to bugs in stack on 10.11 as well.

For the time being we have decided not to fix (=work around) a broken OS.

See: viewtopic.php?p=9767#p9767

Dominus

Post by Dominus » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:43 am

I got it working on OS X 10.11 with some interesting, no fun, workaround.
I've "connected" the Kryo to a VMware Fusion VM running OS X 10.9. Sadly this way a floppy read would always get interrupted halfway through for some reason.
BUT when I shut down the VM but didn't disconnect the Kryo's cable, it would suddenly work directly in OS X 10.11. Without any interruption when reading a floppy. Strange but true and surely not a comfortable way to use it :)

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:50 am

Clearly stated on the downloads page. Due to the way it's built, 10.7 and above, except for 10.11 which breaks support. Please note there are other products which also have trouble with 10.11.

Dominus

Post by Dominus » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:52 pm

For what it's worth the KryoFlux runs correctly for me when I use https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-USB-Inject-All (download at https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-usb ... /downloads).
BUT this is a third party kext and will not always work and is not recommended to be run at all times and will mask when Apple actually fixes the problem at some point.

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:31 am

Thanks for the info.

[PersonalOpinion]If Apple would actually care more for maintaining their OS than adding stuff that just makes the devices sluggish that'd be a great move. My main video editing Mac is on 10.6.8 and it's blazingly fast (as an editing machine). My office machine, which is three years younger but runs 10.10 is slower than it was under 10.9 oder 10.8.[/PersonalOpinion]

Dominus

Post by Dominus » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:21 pm

I fear that eventually you need to "fix" Apple's bad decision on your end. Somehow it seems they won't budge :(

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:31 am

It works very well on my (our) machine(s) running 10.10. You are free to use 10.10, or you can use the Windows build or the Linux one. Apple has broken USB, Apple needs to repair USB. It's their OS, not ours.

Dominus

Post by Dominus » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:05 am

I know I can use different OS and I posted two workarounds that make it somewhat work for me on OS X 10.11 (though the kext way has stopped working in 10.11.4 GM).
As a developer of I need to use 10.11 to be able to use the latest Xcode+ SDKs (as Apple being Apple, see below, made the latest Xcode 10.11 only).

I'm just saying that Apple is being Apple (difficult and stubborn) and is likely not backing down and eventually *you* might need to rethink this approach. I understand that this is frustrating and I think you are basically right. But as a user it's even more frustrating ;(

Again, to be clear, I'm not demanding that you need to fix it, I can work around it, but I think unless you fix it, the situation will not change :(

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:14 pm

The thing is: KryoFlux does it properly as it should be done but Apple has decided to break it. As outlined other hardware that uses the same method also breaks and Apple has acknowledged this.

We can spend time and money on this or innovate. For now we continue to add to the software, and will see what Apple comes up with.

Or we might consider dropping Apple support completely. More than 95% of our users have Windows - judging by the downloads. I agree, it's sad that Apple does not care.