Best way to backup Amiga floppies

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
Vipersan

Re: Best way to backup Amiga floppies

Post by Vipersan » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:04 pm

Reading the comments ..I get the impression that my KF board is 'capable' of what I wanted ..but so far at least the software does not support cloning of protected disks.
A real shame as this was one of the reasons I purchased it.

rgds

sky76

Post by sky76 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:14 pm

I think the process for NDOS disks is like this:

1. backup the floppy using KF
2. send the dumped data (to WHO exactly? To SPS? To which e-Mail or FTP address should the dumps be sent?)
3. receive an IPF (from WHO? and WHEN?)
4. write "your" IPF or an "official" IPF (which one?) back to floppy disk

So it is like a much better version of X-Copy (technically) with a bit of delay (weeks, months?) in between?

Can somebody elaborate on this?

Best
Bernhard
A1200 + Indivision AGA + ACA1233 & Blizzard 1230IV+SCSI + easynet
A600 + Indivision ECS + ACA620 + A604n // CD32 + SX32 MK2 + Indivision AGA
A500 + ACA500 + 5 spare A500's (one with the C= key, Serial No 3358)

brightcaster

Post by brightcaster » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:19 pm

If the floppies are copy-protected they are probably mastered with a commercial duplicator and should be index-alligned. In this case you may export them as kryoflux raw-files.

If the floppies have been written on an amiga floppy drive they are not copy protected and you can export them as adf-file even if they are not index alligned.

In both cases you get data which can be written back to a working disk. So I can't see the issue...

David
Last edited by brightcaster on Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brightcaster

Post by brightcaster » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:29 pm

so far at least the software does not support cloning of protected disks.
Was that promised anywhere? I have never heard of that feature before?

What I remember is Mr. Vince (team kryoflux and developer of the wildewutz tool afaik) writing:
Whatever feature is coming: from the product description KF is an imaging device this is what matters (to us). As good is it is and will be in regard to writing we will never advertise or guarantee any cloning abilities.

David

Vipersan

Post by Vipersan » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:47 pm

Fair enough I guess ..I have perhaps assumed too much.
I understand why protected disks and IPFs for those disks are not available publicly ..and I guess if cloning CP disks was possible it would be open to abuse.
nonetheless from my own perspective I just wish it was easy to back up my genuine floppies easily before they die without jumping through hoops..lol
especially true since most games are out in the wild as cracked versions anyway..
'nuff said
rgds and thanks for the comments.
VS