Replacement discount?

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
Pheonix

Replacement discount?

Post by Pheonix » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:04 am

I've had my Kryoflux for 8 years now and haven't had a problem, until now. I dumped a set of disks I bought 2 days ago, but when I went to write a disk today it no longer recognizes the drive. I've now tried 4 different 3.5" floppy drives, a 5.25" drive, 4 cables, and 2 power supplies (all I have.) I even tried to power the 3.5" drives from the kryoflux board itself. In all cases, I get "Timeout while waiting for device initialization" the first time, then "Device not found" thereafter (until I do a reset of the board.)

An easy, at home, fix would be preferable, but looking at the board, I find this unlikely. I'd rather not buy a whole new board, and was hoping a trade in was possible.

mr.vince

Re: Replacement discount?

Post by mr.vince » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:14 am

Can't do much without any further info. Might be that e.g. a PSU is knackered (e.g. generating overvoltage). You might have fried the board by routing the power through the board or by powering a floppy drive through the board (see manual; red warnings).

Are you sure the drivers are installed correctly?

Pheonix

Post by Pheonix » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:52 am

Reinstalled the drivers just now. That was a bit of a nightmare... Seems a windows update ("Arduino Srl (www.arduino.org) - Other hardware - Bossa Program Port") replaced the "Kryoflux DiskSystem" entry with "Bossa Com Port ?" (? came up as 7 one time, 8 another.) After half an hour of constantly forcing the Bossa ports to become Kryoflux entries repeatedly, it stopped trying to force the change. Now it seems to be working fine.

Sorry about my brief panic :(

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:59 pm

Send your thanks to Microsoft for this stupidity - we've seen this getting worse and worse. Not much we can do from here.

Note: changing USB ports makes Windows re-install (re-enumerate) the device. So always using the very same port is a good start.

airnocker

Post by airnocker » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:27 pm

So, now I find this thread which exactly describes what I am now experiencing when trying to reconnect my Kryoflux setup that had been working beautifully all thru the summer of 2017.

I wish I had the presence of mind to recall which USB port I used back then, but back then I was not aware of the dire importance of this. That this then is a Windows 10 Pro "feature" is of no surprise to me as they have recently been messing up they way mouse clicks are working now.

Would it be possible to have the steps for resetting Windows 10 to know nothing about the previous Bossa ports or Kryflux Drives?

I've done what this gentlemen who posted this thread had done until I'm blue in the face to no avail. And hey, just for the record I'm will to go purple with a little help.
airnocker
----------------------------------------------
Everything depends on everything else

Vipersan

Post by Vipersan » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:55 pm

Got sick of this auto update Boss bollox ..
My solution ..was crude but effective ..
A dedicated small form factor pc desktop which is never connected to t'interweb ..
If I do feel the need I have an raw imaged hard drive with a stable os which I can go back to in an emergency.
and I use win7 which has the updates disabled..
something you can't really do with win10 (spit)

I call it my Kryostation PC ...but it also provides ADTpro support (also java)having a serial D port (remember them -lol) and Zoom support with CBMXFER
rgds
VS