Creating and writing streams AMIGA disks

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
peterborromeo

Creating and writing streams AMIGA disks

Post by peterborromeo » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:33 am

Hello, I hope you can help me with my problem.

I created a stream file from an AMIGA disk with this command:

dtc -p -f<dumpdir/dumpfile> -i0 -i5 -t500

This seems to work and the raw files were written to the folder.
Then I wrote the stream back to disk with this command:

dtc -f<pathtostreamfiles/firstfile> -w

The writing process seems to work.
BUT the created disk is not working on the AMIGA.

I have to say that the creating and writing of ADFs is working and I also was able to write IPFs back.

It would be great to get some help to solve this issue. Thank you in advance.

mr.vince

Re: Creating and writing streams AMIGA disks

Post by mr.vince » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:56 pm

Won't work unless the disk is index-aligned. You will need to properly define the data (ADF, IPF) or at least index-align the stream data.

IFW

Post by IFW » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:44 pm

Actually almost all custom format disks tend to use index synced mastering/writing on Amiga, however games that use AmigaDOS+copy-protection are more likely to be not index synced (except for the copy-protection data).
So it really depends on which game.

peterborromeo

Post by peterborromeo » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:14 am

Thank you both for your friendly support! I tried to stream a not copy protected disk, but it does not work. So does it mean that for me it is just possible to create a (re-writeable) adf or to create an stream which I have to submit to SPS so that they create a (re-writeable) IPF? The point is that I have a lot of original games from which I want to create backup-copies and expected from Kryoflux to manage this.

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:12 pm

For the record: The KryoFlux is an imaging device, not a copier. This is very clearly communicated. Writing bogus, unknown data is like building a house without plans. You start assuming, guessing, it goes wrong at some point.

If the disk is not copy protected, create an ADF. This can be written. If you have a copy protection track only, and the rest is pure ADOS, try writing an ADF, then just write track 0 side 1 or whatever it is, from a stream file.

If you want an IPF, search the net. If you want to do your own, use e.g. Keir's Disk Tools: https://github.com/keirf/Disk-Utilities

or the Softpres Analyser (atm only available to archives, museums etc.).

And there's still the option to create a script/tool that will index align data based on analysis, e.g. looking for $4489$4489 as sync mark.

Hope this helps.

IFW

Post by IFW » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:31 pm

Alternatively, if you want to use your stream files in emulation, convert them to CT Raw images using DTC. These images work with almost all copy-protected games, however keep in mind that they are just "blind" dump conversions, not something that is fully analysed like IPF.