Another "Control command rejected by the device" issue

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
starkiller

Another "Control command rejected by the device" issue

Post by starkiller » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:25 am

Hello KryoFlux team,

I have recently bought the KryoFlux from your webstore, but am totally unhappy with it at the moment.
After having installed the device following the instructions on the KryoFlux site (both on Mac 10.13 and on Windows 10) I keep getting the error message "Control command rejected by the device". I have tried both the GUI and the command line (dtc -c2).
- all necessary files are in the KryoFlux folder
- the device is correctly installed in the device manager in Windows
- I have first connected the device to the PC and then the power supply to the disk drive
- I have tried it with 4 different 3.5" drives and two different cables (using both possible positions on the cable and changing the drive jumpers on the device)
- I have checked that all the jumpers on the device are correctly attached

For what I can see here is that the device seems to be ok. However the PSU that was sent with the KryoFlux does not shine green as it should when it is powered (it just flashes for a moment and stays dark).

Thanks in advance for your help.
starkiller

mr.vince

Re: Another "Control command rejected by the device" issue

Post by mr.vince » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:26 pm

Might be a dead PSU then - it's rare, but happens. But, might as well be a short. Please try plugging in the PSU without anything connected (also no molex cable please, just the bare PSU with its own plug). Sometimes the molex connectors and the pins are at an angle, resulting in a short in the connector.

starkiller

Post by starkiller » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:33 pm

I have tried it, but the PSU is still not working.

R.I.P. PSU

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:54 am

Ok, sorry to hear, but these come bulk from a distributor and even though they're of good quality, a defect rate of less than 1% means there's a dead PSU here and there.

Please get in touch via email (store@). We don't intend to ship a dead PSU back around the world, but we need proof that it's been rendered useless.

starkiller

Post by starkiller » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:56 pm

I'll write the email later. Thank you for your help.
In the meantime I was able to borrow a PSU from a friend and can at least confirm that the KF is working and can read disks. However I haven't been able to write back to disk yet:
- Amiga IPF files are written back to disk, but cannot be read by the Amiga (tested with different drives; used the example IPF-files provided with dtc).
- Amiga ADF files can't even be written on a disk, I keep getting some verify error (I haven't the KF here right now to check the exact error message).
Maybe someone has a hint on which settings are the best to write IPF and ADF files back to disk.

IFW

Post by IFW » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:10 pm

Are you using a HD disk for writing?

starkiller

Post by starkiller » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:08 pm

No, DDs only.

IFW

Post by IFW » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:58 pm

3.5 or 5.25 drive?
If 5.25 then the density line is incorrectly set.
If 3.5 then the HD media sensor is not working correctly.
Alternatively, the drive and/or the disk has other problems.

You should not attempt to write IPFs as long as you get verify errors from writing ADFs.

starkiller

Post by starkiller » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:14 pm

I have finnaly managed to write an ADF to disk. It has also worked fine with IPF.
The problem, that all my 3.5" drives have: the cannot write to DD disks. I have tried with a HD disk and everything has worked fine.
I know, HD disks formatted in DD are not as reliable as real DD disks, but I will have to live with it until I can find a drive that fully works with real DDs.

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:42 pm

That is not correct. If you write an HD disk with an HD drive, it does not matter if the data itself is only DD. The problem is mixing drives with media, e.g. HD disks in a DD drive.

The only problem you might face in the Amiga is when you try to write to an HD disk.