Kryoflux seemingly works only partially well

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
CmdrArcturus

Kryoflux seemingly works only partially well

Post by CmdrArcturus » Mon May 15, 2017 8:45 am

Hello, I've had my Kryoflux board for a while but didn't get a chance to using it until recently. I've put together a dual-floppy system out of an old full-height SCSI box and modified it to mount the Kryoflux board in it along the rear wall of the chassis. I'm using a Teac FD-235HF,C429-U5 for the 3.5" drive and a Teac FD-55GFR-7149-U5 for the 5.25" drive. Both drives have been confirmed good and have been cleaned thoroughly. So far, I've tried to read several different floppies of both sizes, and I get the same output every time, regardless of what drives/disks/cables I use. The 3.5" disks are always read with "hidden" tracks, but most of the data seems to come out okay, but for the 5.25" disks, all sectors are coming up as "unkown", and the resulting output file is completely empty with a 0 byte count. I have attached the screenshots of the latest dumps. To further rectify the situation, I've tried downloading a fresh copy of the Kryoflux software from the website, erased the firmware on the board several times, and even reinstalled the Windows driver. Nothing seems to help. I realize I may have a defective board on my hands, but I wanted to check with the community if there was something I'm missing, and please note that I made sure that the board is not shorting out. It is properly mounted, and even if the board is loose out of the chassis, I still get the same results. If you need the logs, I can upload them in a separate post as they're long, and for some reason, the system is not allowing me to attach LOG/TXT/DOC files.

Thank you,

CmdrArcturus

ZrX

Re: Kryoflux seemingly works only partially well

Post by ZrX » Mon May 15, 2017 12:49 pm

Can you post the commands you used?

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy » Mon May 15, 2017 5:23 pm

Did you set the density line appropriately for the disk in the drive? That is very important for 5.25" media. Note that Kryoflux refers to the "High" and "Low" states of the Density Select logic line, and on IBM PC style 1.2mb floppy drives density is the REVERSE of the logic line. That is Density Select Low=High Density and Density Select High=Low Density.

CmdrArcturus

Post by CmdrArcturus » Mon May 15, 2017 6:38 pm

Okay, I'll try setting the density when I get home. As for the command I used, I just used the Java GUI and tried to dump MFM disks in both cases.

ZrX

Post by ZrX » Tue May 16, 2017 3:18 pm

Density change on floppies should only show as various amounts of error. Not as unformatted.

It's possible the rpm used for the format doesn't match.

BarryB

Post by BarryB » Tue May 16, 2017 8:48 pm

Out of curiosity, what format disks are you dumping, IBM, MAC, Atari?

CmdrArcturus

Post by CmdrArcturus » Sun May 21, 2017 5:44 am

Thanks to all of you who replied. Sorry for the late reply; we got hit hard this week by that WannaCry thing.

Firstly, I'm just using the GUI (v2.51 for Windows) to dump both 1.44MB 3.5" disks and 1.2MB 5.25" disks, both formatted for MS-DOS (MFM sector image). I've tried the command line using the following:

dtc -d1 -dd0 -i4 -ftest.flp
dtc -d1 -dd1 -i4 -ftest.flp
dtc -d1 -dd0 -i4 -v300 -ftest.flp
dtc -d1 -dd1 -i4 -v300 -ftest.flp

Seems that no matter what I try, I get the same results for both types of disks regardless of format. Any other ideas?

BarryB

Post by BarryB » Sun May 21, 2017 3:24 pm

To dump with command line:

1.44MB: dtc -p -fFOLDER/STREAM -i0 -i4 -l8
To convert to a .img file: dtc -m1 -fFOLDER/STREAM -i0 -fTEST.img -i4 -l8

1.2MB: dtc -p -fFOLDER/STREAM -i0 -v360 -i4 -l8
To convert to a .img file: dtc -m1 -fFOLDER/STREAM -i0 -fTEST.img -v360 -i4 -l8

You can add the -d1 and -dd0/-dd1 if needed.

There are examples in the PDF manual, and one that shows how to dump/create .img files at the same time but I've never used that method preferring to dump first then create files if needed manually!