Write what you want!

All news about KryoFlux go here.
BarryB

Re: Write what you want!

Post by BarryB » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:09 pm

DM should only have weak bits on Track 0 upper side, the rest is DOS, so not sure why most of the disk is written as trash! Iron Gate I believe I dumped and uploaded months ago so you can check!

Is there a test for determining if a dump is index synced or not without getting into complexities?

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:01 am

You may have a "fixed" DM disk (BB virus), and thus the bootblock could be non index synced.

Mine copies fine here. But weakbit check does not pass in the game.

Feltzkrone

Post by Feltzkrone » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:51 am

For figuring out if a particular disk is index synced the KF GUI comes in handy:
- from the menu select Drive, Stream Files
- as Image Profile AmigaDOS (or basically anything)
- enter some name like "temp" (you can just overwrite the resulting file everytime if you just want to have a look or just delete it afterwards)
- click "Start"
- select the directory containing the dump

The scatter plot at least provides you a hint if a disk is possibly not index synced. Personally I'd check track 00.0 and 40.0 (in case the disk was modified typically one of these are affected) plus a few more that tend to hold protection tracks. If a track is index synced it typically shows the track gap (uniform data) in the end and the beginning of the track (the gap wraps the disk index). If that is not the case the disk written will probably not work. I could post some example images if you like, but unluckily not before tomorrow in the evening.

IFW

Post by IFW » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:34 am

I do not always have access to our archives, when posting - please keep this in mind :)
So just to confirm - I should play the lottery ;)

Iron Gate first disk is index synced, second is not. Conveniently, the second disk has a protected custom format as well - that's what I call a coincidence :lol:
Kick Off 2: although we don't have your disk dumped, the existing ones have tracks [0, 3] not index synced (ie boot+protection), the rest is.
There is no stream dump of your DM disk, but I vaguely seem to remember that you showed a CTR and that was modified?
If that's true, MrVince is right; an Amiga writes a whole track at once (except for literally a handful of games for HS), and it is never index synced on purpose. So if you say, had a virus on it, it is no longer index synced for the boot track and whichever other track the virus had attacked.

IFW

Post by IFW » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:48 am

btw: the funniest one I've seen is Terry's Bid Adventure (an unknown release, no IPF yet).
Whoever made this release clearly had some great sense of humour.
It has an anti-piracy warning, similar to the ones seen on games like Dragon's Breath plus some bootcode.
All the code and data is index synced up to the point of showing this warning, then guess what happens after that - the tracks are no longer index synced on the disk, so you are stuck with watching the anti-piracy warning forever and the drive turned on trying to read the same track forever, and wondering what a coincidence that is...! :lol:

BarryB

Post by BarryB » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:39 pm

Sorry mate, didn't mean my comments to be taken the wrong way, I was just saying it was available to check, not trying to be a smart arse! I've got DM and KO2 already dumped so i've uploaded them.

I've still to dump the batch of disk I just got, no time lately, I was lucky to get time to write those few streams :(

@Feltzkrone: I've never used the GUI so this will be interesting!

IFW

Post by IFW » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:20 pm

No worries, feedback is important, because there might be issues that would not be discovered otherwise.

IFW

Post by IFW » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:17 pm

KO2 boot code is not index synced, just like the others.
DM: the entire disk is a copy, except for the protection track 0.1

ghalfacree

Post by ghalfacree » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:40 pm

Is there a timescale for when the writing feature (and other improvements/additions since 2.20) will make it to the Linux version? Ta!

BarryB

Post by BarryB » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:03 pm

IFW wrote:KO2 boot code is not index synced, just like the others.
DM: the entire disk is a copy, except for the protection track 0.1
As you suspected with DM, I must have copied over it at some point but simply can't remember doing so, this is why I need the IPF to write back over it :)

I've also started dumping 24 Amiga games, they've been kicking about for weeks! So, as Jesse off the Fast Show would say, "Today, I 'ave been mostly dumping disks!" Will upload them later today!