DTC Scripting & IPF creation

All news about KryoFlux go here.
mr.vince

DTC Scripting & IPF creation

Post by mr.vince » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:37 am

Next milestones for development have been set.

That's one of the major requests that came in shortly after the very first release, but it also means a bucketload of work. Some time ago, we started a poll on our forums to find out about how new platforms and formats should be supported.

We have opted to go for for the second place of the poll. The first place would have meant adding more formats statically. Since reverse engineering the original recording scheme can be very time consuming, this would mean setting priorities and not being able to support certain platforms - for years! The upcoming scripting host links into the heart of DTC, thus enabling you to define your own formats. This means while we continue working on KryoFlux, the community can independently create and share format descriptors. This brings in huge flexibility and speed. It is also the way floppy disks were replicated back in the good old days, so it is a proven concept.

It will also bring user created IPFs. Our format is already standard for authentic and verified Amiga, PC, Atari ST, Amstrad CPC and Spectrum preservation and supported by various emulators. Since IPFs are scripted, whatever needs to be added, can be put in. This means IPFs can store whatever data you may have, even the most sophisticated recording scheme violations - mostly used for copy protection. This is long term preservation as it should be.

We are putting all our efforts into this, but realistically, we don't expect this to be fully implemented before winter. If you have feedback or ideas, please share them with us.

RJMcInty

Re: DTC Scripting & IPF creation

Post by RJMcInty » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:09 pm

Thanks for the update, Mr. Vince. I think that this is outstanding news, and a great approach to solving the user-created IPF challenge!!! I'm looking forward to trying it out, and starting to put together community-based scripts...

BarryB

Post by BarryB » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:40 pm

This will still be out of the reach of most users (like me) as there must be a fair amount of knowledge needed beforehand to create a script in the first place, or have I missed something? However, that barrier should hopefully be overcome by the 'sharing' or availability of community created scripts for certain protections or games, say Dungeon Master/Psygnosis, or would those still not be possible?

IFW

Post by IFW » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:46 pm

Yes, you will be able to share scripts with anyone.

BarryB

Post by BarryB » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:56 pm

But can scripts for 'any' protection be created, like my example of Dungeon Master/Psygnosis which are not currently added to your analyser, or will there still be technical reasons preventing that?

IFW

Post by IFW » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:41 am

Without the burden of doing everything myself, there will be time to add support to things like DM.

drdanj

Post by drdanj » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:20 pm

Great news. Is it envisaged that FM and GCR encoding be supported?

d.

IFW

Post by IFW » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:43 am

Yes.

NF6X

Post by NF6X » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:25 pm

I haven't been paying attention to KryoFlux news since last December or so, but I just popped back into the forums after getting an email from one of the KryoFlux team folks. So, this is my first time seeing this announcement. I'm excited about it, and I'm looking forward to experimenting with these features when they become available to the general public. I'll probably wander off and think about non-KryoFlux things for a while now, but I'm happy that KryoFlux will probably pop back up on my project radar later this year.

I'm mostly interested in both archiving and recreating non-copy-protected disks for platforms such as the TRS-80 Color Computer, TRS-80 models 1/3/4, TRS-80 models 2/12/16/6000 (8"), and DEC RX02 (8"). Each of those has multiple operating system variants, and common but nonstandard extensions such as substituting double-sided drives for single-sided ones. They're also platforms that I wouldn't expect to get much focused attention from the main KryoFlux team for a long time, so user contribution may really help out there.

drdanj

Post by drdanj » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:28 pm

Despite the brilliant cloning option that's been introduced (thank you, it's saved some of my original key discs!), is the scripting still in the pipeline?