GUI & Linux support

All news about KryoFlux go here.
skitt

Re: GUI & Linux support

Post by skitt »

It should work with any Debian distribution. At the very least DTC and the UI will be available; as far as I know all Debian derivatives still use udev and modprobe so the configuration should work as well.

If you want to rebuild the package with a new version of DTC and/or the UI JAR, it's not too complicated:
  • Make sure the build-essential and debhelper packages are installed:

Code: Select all

sudo aptitude install build-essential debhelper
  • Download the provided dsc and support files, and extract them:

dpkg-source -x kryoflux_1.00~beta10-1.dsc
    This will place everything in a kryoflux-1.00~beta10 directory.
  • Since one of the "upstream" elements is changing, you'll need a new version number. I'll use 1.00b11 as an example, but it could be 1.00b10.1 or anything else really. Create a new directory, alongside the kryoflux-1.00~beta10 directory, named appropriately:

mkdir kryoflux_1.00~beta11
  • Place the files you wish to package in that directory, using the same directory structure as the current ZIP file; if you're packaging an official ZIP file, simply extract it there. The required files are the UI JAR and associated README, the contents of the dtc/linux directory, and all the TXT and PDF files at the root of the ZIP file (DONATIONS.txt, LICENSE.txt, README.txt and the two manuals).
  • Repack the "original" tarball:

tar czf kryoflux_1.00~beta11.orig.tar.gz kryoflux-1.00~beta11
  • Copy the debian directory:

cd kryoflux-1.00~beta11
    cp -a ../kryoflux-1.00~beta10/debian .
  • Specify the new version number in the changelog:

dch -v 1.00~beta11 "New upstream release."
  • Rebuild:

dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc
After all this is done if everything went well you'll have a new .deb for the current architecture (i386 or amd64) in the parent directory.

karadoc

Post by karadoc »

That is really useful, thanks. We'll try and do that for each (at least major) release. Well, unless the kernel bug gets fixed and on most machines anyway. :)

garyw536

Post by garyw536 »

Hi all,
Supplying the Kryoflux software in a Linux package would be a great and most welcome idea. In response to Mr. Vince comment;
I must admit I am no Linux expert, but if we can make it easier for Linux users by putting this in a package... sure, why not. The only objection that comes to mind is that there are other packet managers around. Not sure which is the most common one.
Looking at the linux distribution download chart over the last couple of years I would guess that the .deb package would be most popular as Ubuntu has been top most of this time. Plus many other popular distro's also use .deb packages. However, supplying it in both .deb and .rpm package formats would cover the majority of popular Linux distributions.

However, I am having an issue with the 64-bit version. I can get the dtc command line program working perfectly but the .jar GUI program fails to save the file. It connects with the Kryoflux OK and reads the disks OK, it just fails to save the data. I am running Ubuntu 10.10 for AMD64.

I have run the 32-bit version on Ubuntu 10.04 32-bit and that seems OK. :D

Has anybody else had a similar issue?

TTFN

garyw536

Post by garyw536 »

Issue Update:
False alarm - The 64bit Linux version has been saving the files all the time. It saved them in the home folder for the root account and not the user account. This is odd and I only found them by accident, as when I used the 32-bit Linux version on my Ubuntu 10.04 powered netbook, the GUI saved the files to the user account. However under my Ubuntu 10.10 AMD64 Desktop the files were saved to my root account. I do not know whether this difference was caused by the OS or the dtc application. Has anybody got any ideas?

TTFN

karadoc

Post by karadoc »

That does sound rather odd. It should save them (currently) relative to the current working directory. So maybe we can start by asking how you launch the UI? I would hope that launching from the command line after cd'ing to the kryoflux folder would work... But maybe you are executing it by some kind of shortcut that does not set the working directory to the kryoflux folder?

garyw536

Post by garyw536 »

Hi karadoc,
Thanks for the reply.
I have the various versions of Kryoflux software in their own directories on a USB memory stick. This way I can run the same programs and save the stream files from different PC's. I then launch a root version of Nautilus (using gksudo nautilus) for which I have a shortcut on my desktop. From here I find the .jar file on my USB stick, double click and it runs with root privilages. Maybe the difference was caused by whether I mounted the USB drive before or after running the root Nautilus.

However, in neither case did the software save the files relative to the working directory. The .jar and dtc files were located at /media/Kingston/Linux32 & /media/Kingston/Linux64. The stream files were saved to /home/gary and /home/root respectively.

Maybe it does have something to do with how I launched the .jar file. :?

TTFN

karadoc

Post by karadoc »

Does Nautilus give apps it executes a default working directory of your home folder? That is the only way I can think of this happening... Everything is saved relative to '.'

Having said that, a future version will allow you to specify where you want your dumps. I guess that feature just got higher priority!

garyw536

Post by garyw536 »

All the software I run in Ubuntu with a GUI automatically saves files in the users home folder as this is the only folder the user can write to (without root privilages), so maybe Nautilus does force this when it runs apps. Also, whenever I open Nautilus it always opens up showing the home folder and never the file system root.

Just to clarify, I did make a mistake in one of my previous posts: My root home folder is at /root and not /home/root.

I have been doing some testing and found the following;
1. If I run dtc from the console it saves the files in the same directory as dtc.
2. If I mount the USB drive BEFORE opening the root Nautlius program then the 64-bit version also saves the files in the USERS home folder. I guess with the root Nautilus open when you mount a new filesystem it must open it as root. This would make sense because the files I created / copied onto the USB drive during this period can now only be accessed by the root user, whereas the other files I copied before can be accessed by my user account also.

Malvineous

Post by Malvineous »

Is there any reason why you need to run anything at all as root? Since DTC and the GUI will happily run as a normal user, being forced to run either of them as root is a symptom of an incorrect system configuration, not to mention being rather dangerous...

karadoc

Post by karadoc »

Okay, next version (out soon!) you can pick your dump folder, the current working directory is just the default.