GUI & Linux support

All news about KryoFlux go here.
mr.vince

GUI & Linux support

Post by mr.vince »

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am very proud to announce that both GUI and Linux support are available as of today. Sorry we did not make it in time for Christmas. :)

Get the full package here: http://releases.softpres.org/kryoflux/k ... 1.0b10.zip

Get updated DTC plus GUI here: http://releases.softpres.org/kryoflux/DTC_1.0b10.zip

Please regard GUI and the Linux port as still experimental. We only tested both on a few machines so far. Linux support might require root access or at least the user to be in the USB group to be able to access libusb. The GUI only works with drive 0 at the moment. We still have a huge list of features to add. If you want to recommend something, feel free to do it in this thread.

skitt

Re: GUI & Linux support

Post by skitt »

Thanks, the Linux version works great here (well, as long as dtc is run as root)! Something for the documentation though: users should make sure cdc_acm is blacklisted, otherwise bad things happen (the kernel oopses). All that is needed is

Code: Select all

echo blacklist cdc_acm | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/local.conf
It shouldn't even be necessary to reboot (as long as this is done before the KryoFlux is connected to a USB port).

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince »

Yes, same thing happening on Mac OS X. Seems like the serial device is misinterpreted as a modem and... presto. Thanks.

mr.vince

GUI & Linux support

Post by mr.vince »

Btw can you try if it works when you add yourself to the USB group? This should eliminate the need for being root...

skitt

Post by skitt »

By default on my system (running Debian squeeze) the USB nodes for the KryoFlux are owned by root:root. The following udev rule changes the group to "floppy" which my user belongs to:

Code: Select all

# Make the device nodes owned by the floppy group
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="03eb", ATTR{idProduct}=="6124", GROUP="floppy"
With that rule in place everything works without running anything as root.

BTW would you be interested in a Debian package? Strictly speaking as I understand it the license prevents it, unless you distribute the .deb of course. The package would also work in Ubuntu and would set everything up with the cdc_acm blacklist and the udev rule...

While I'm at it there's a small mistake in the LICENSE.txt file, line 76: "sk" instead of "ask". Point 10 is also missing its full stop :mrgreen:, and the Copyright statement isn't the same in the manual and in the LICENSE.txt file.

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince »

Thanks, I corrected these... the license is the same for capsimg.dll (or library for interpreting IPF images), as well as KryoFlux. It's a bit work in progress, at least the preamble.

I must admit I am no Linux expert, but if we can make it easier for Linux users by putting this in a package... sure, why not. The only objection that comes to mind is that there are other packet managers around. Not sure which is the most common one.

Will put your stuff into the readme for the time being.

Malvineous

Post by Malvineous »

@skitt: If the kernel oopses then it's likely a bug in the kernel driver, as the Linux version of dtc tries to ask any driver using the KryoFlux to let go of it before it starts accessing it. Admittedly though I never compiled the cdc_acm driver so I haven't been able to investigate its behaviour, but upgrading to a newer kernel might help (although the blacklist is fine if you don't need to use the driver with any other devices.)

Given these changes for Debian, it might be nice to package it all up into a .deb to make it easier for people to use, or at least include your instructions in the Linux readme file under a 'Debian' heading.

skitt

Post by skitt »

Yup, I'll submit a bug report against the kernel (2.6.36 oopses, and cdc_acm hasn't change since 2.6.36 was released, so a newer kernel would still suffer from the same problem).

I've submitted a ticket with SPS regarding the .deb packages (I've built them but I'm leaving their distribution up to SPS).

skitt

Post by skitt »

karadoc

Post by karadoc »

That is great, thanks very much for doing that. Does the package work on any Debian distro?

I have no experience packaging up deb's. Is it a simple command if I want to update it with a new DTC or UI JAR? I'm using Ubuntu.