KryoFlux - Write support is here and coming to you!

All news about KryoFlux go here.
Chris4981

Re: KryoFlux - Write support is here and coming to you!

Post by Chris4981 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:21 am

alright :) hope they finished soon :) would be great if I can repair my original Disks.
Thanks for the quick answer.

r09

Post by r09 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:16 am

I just tested writing under Windows Server 2008 R2. I guess it's not going to be a very popular platform for this kind of thing, but it works nicely anyway.

Rakki

Post by Rakki » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:33 pm

Tested games on Amiga 500 kickstart 1.3:

1. Pinball Dreams - all flippers ok, not tried to write high score to disk. - Ok
2. Sensible Golf - Ok
3. Batman Returns - Ok.
4. World Cup Soccer - Italia '90 - Ok
5. Emlyn Hughes International Soccer - Ok
6. Civilization (Retail: v855.04, Award Winners Platinum Edition) - Ok

Following games had problems - probably due of the faulty disks, will test again
7. Shadow Fighter (OCS) --> had problems with game loading - insert disk 2 was shown multiple times - NOK
8. Starray --> loading failed - NOK
9. Tactical Manager --> loaded game but had problems, not known whether reason was OCS chipset. - NOK
10. Alien Breed '92 Special Edition --> loading failed - NOK

Notes

Some remarks of general functionality when writing. These are improvement proposals due sake of clarity.

1. Disk is not in the drive --> drive motor starts but command doesn't end without CTRL + C --> DTC should exit and inform user of the missing disk.
2. Disk is write protected --> continuosly general error -> DTC should exit and inform user of the write protect.

Feature proposals for future:
1. Add format command with verify that writes predefined dummy data to the disk -> makes sure that disks are ok for writing originals.
2. printf --> xx / yy tracks written currently on command line (as default without option -l15)
3. Write images on GUI :)

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:13 am

Ok, i think I have to use CAPS:

THIS BETA USES A PRELIMINARY FRAMEWORK WITHOUT STANDARD OUTPUT. IT ALSO DOES NOT HAVE ERROR HANDLING. PLEASE REFRAIN FROM REPORTING; THE FINAL FRAMEWORK WILL INCLUDE ALL OF THESE. ;)

As for the disk errors mentioned above: Please use disks that were formatted with verify. Many disks show defects by now because the coating is falling apart. Some brands and types are more error prone than others. None of the games should give problems. Please also take into consideration that some games might not work due to problems with the specific Amiga model used. I do have problems with several Thalion games, that seem to work ok on a stock A500, but fail on my CDTV in A500 mode... So if in doubt, please verify with the original disk.

Rakki

Post by Rakki » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:26 pm

Ok, don't shoot the messenger :?. Just gave some feedback for later usage as it is normal in software testing in beta phase.

Unfortunately I don't have originals for those failed games and will rewrite failed games on working disks.

IFW

Post by IFW » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:37 pm

No problem, thanks :-)

mr.vince

KryoFlux - Write support is here and coming to you!

Post by mr.vince » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:12 pm

No worries, Rakki. Was referring to post #87. ;)

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:07 pm

Just checked Alien Breed and some others... run fine here.

Rakki

Post by Rakki » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:22 am

mr.vince wrote:Just checked Alien Breed and some others... run fine here.
Ok, thank you very much. TDK DD disks were mostly ok but some 3M DD and certain unbranded DD failed more often. Couldn't re-test yet because of real life™ challenges. Disks that contained errors were stored as formatted and verified few months ago. In ADF-usage they have been mostly reliable. Maybe it is not reasonable to test this version anymore too extensively because generally it seems to work good enough. Will write disks anyway as testing purposes but won't report if there are no problems for sure.

C64 disks reading will be next task to do on personal task list when will have couple hours spare time.

IFW

Post by IFW » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:50 am

Many of the games use higher density than normal, bad disks that work for normal use won't work in those cases.