KryoFlux - Write support is here and coming to you!

All news about KryoFlux go here.
Rakki

Re: KryoFlux - Write support is here and coming to you!

Post by Rakki » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:52 am

You accepted me as beta tester but due of GMail problems I never received the dtc. GMail doesn't accept zip-files with containing exe inside (virus scanner removes them even the file is password protected). I don't know whether other testers experienced similar problems but for future please consider to send private betas in other ways:

1. Rename the extension of the file from zip to abc or something like that.
2. Instead of compressing the file as ZIP, compress it in some other format for e.g. RAR.
3. Consider use file sharing services instead of email for private beta testing.

I'm not angry but a bit frustrated because really wanted to participate to private beta testing.

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:48 pm

Just so much to do.

The next thing that happens is that person B can't open RAR files, and we're not keen on putting this stuff up on some anonymous file hoster. So far all other beta testers had an email service that did not tamper with their inbox. I accept that some providers scan for viruses which is a nice thing, but people should still have the choice to accept whatever attachment they want to receive. You don't always have to bow. Tell google that protection is a good thing, but rejecting mails for you that are harmless is not.

balrog

Post by balrog » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:11 am

I believe that renaming the .zip extension works in this case. If that doesn't, then renaming the .exe also definitely does. Well, unless they now detect .exes by the header.

Rakki

Post by Rakki » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:52 pm

mr.vince wrote:Just so much to do.

The next thing that happens is that person B can't open RAR files, and we're not keen on putting this stuff up on some anonymous file hoster. So far all other beta testers had an email service that did not tamper with their inbox. I accept that some providers scan for viruses which is a nice thing, but people should still have the choice to accept whatever attachment they want to receive. You don't always have to bow. Tell google that protection is a good thing, but rejecting mails for you that are harmless is not.
Thanks for answer. Renaming the attachment takes only few seconds so it would be easiest way solve case. Understand completely that you have enormous amount of tasks during your spare time and war doesn't need one soldier if army is satisfied. If the policy is already decided for all testers without any exceptions then it is and I accept it. Anyways spent already 3 hours for this issue - really tried enough for this single case... I'll wait for public beta (hopefully it does not contain any kind of Rakki restrictions™) :roll:. Anyway I can help you with testing with public beta as well because my daytime job is testing engineer.

Sent feedback for Gmail as you requested and asked them to fix / improve gmail virus scanner settings for end user.

r09

Post by r09 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:20 pm

Well, I did some more testing. To summarize, all these games work perfectly for me:

Alien Breed: Tower Assault
Agony
Awesome
Jungle Strike (AGA)
Lemmings
Lotus 2
Ninja Mission
Pinball Illusions
Project X SE 93
Supaplex
Turrican
Turrican 2
Uridium 2

The New Zealand Story, on the other hand, gives with this message while loading level 1-1:

"There has been a fatal disk error, please check the disk and press the DEL key"

Sometimes it works and I can make it load the first level, but then it fails on the second one.

IFW

Post by IFW » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:01 pm

Try rewriting the NZS disk first.
If the issues persist I'd be interested in knowing the IPF ID - and see if there is anything we could do to fix this on our side, or simply crappy loader :)

r09

Post by r09 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:49 pm

Nah, forget it, WinUAE does the same, it seems to be a compatibility problem with the A1200.

Interestingly enough, it only happens with IPF 1180. The alternate version (IPF 2875) works well if you set the "compatibility mode" (no CPU cache + original chipset mode).

IFW

Post by IFW » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:03 pm

Glad it's fully authentic in its behaviour ;)
Guess it was a running replacement, fixing the loading problems and maybe others things. Also, it was the game where a very infamous cheatcode was replaced - see the link :lol:
http://hol.abime.net/960/cheatcode

amigoun

Post by amigoun » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:27 pm

With my newly received Kryoflux board, I am also interested to join the betatesters.

My Amiga configs:
Amiga 500, A600, A1200, CD32 + SX1, A2000, A4000

PC Setup:
Sempron 140 based Destkop PC with Windows XP

Floppy Drives: SONY, ALPS, TEAC, NEC.. to name just a few.

Rakki

Post by Rakki » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:27 pm

Received the private beta and executed first test with Lion King AGA because A1200 was already on table. A500 will follow tomorrow.

1. NEC FD1231H (purchased from Kryoflux store). It has maxtrack 81 and by some reason Lion King disk write seems to be ok but it fails on A1200 (Tested with 2 working disks).
2. Sony MPF920 (maxtrack 83, purchased from ebay year ago). Write succeeds and reading succeeds. Played the game and all ok.

Interesting that Kryoflux tested drive fails (maxtrack 81). Are there images that are using more than 81 tracks? As far I remember there were few games that required 81 tracks copy like Obliterator.

Another minor thing is that dtc doesn't inform wheter write succeeded or not. It just ends the writing and prompt is ready for use, maybe some message could be ok anyway even there are no verify.