KryoFlux - Write support is here and coming to you!

All news about KryoFlux go here.
mr.vince

Re: KryoFlux - Write support is here and coming to you!

Post by mr.vince » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:02 am

I actually got hooked on Alien Breed SE'92 and played the first level. Aahh... Fond memories!

RichAplin

Post by RichAplin » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:22 pm

That's awesome. Hugs to the team
Rich

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:41 pm

Thanks,

Herr Doktor. We're all pretty exhausted at the moment... so we'll take a short break after the forthcoming release...

desiv

Post by desiv » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:02 am

Tested write support with the included LethalXcess IPFs and my ALPs drive.
Worked great (as far as I can tell.. I am really bad at shooters, but I died as quickly as I usually do, so it seems perfect :-) !!)!!

Thanx,
desiv

Chris4981

Post by Chris4981 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:27 pm

First I want to say thank you at the whole team for their great work. Your work made it possible to repair a lot of my original Amiga Disks. I have nearly repaired all but three.

I'm looking at the moment for images of:
- Ninja Mission
- Reflexity Pinball Challenge

but the real reason for my posting is, that I think I found a game that I can't write back to disk. The game is "super hang on". I can't write it back to disk. Can anybody tell me where is the problem?

desiv

Post by desiv » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:10 pm

The tech heads (and I mean that in the best way possible) will probably be asking for more information from the logs and what is exactly not working.

My first question would be, are you writing it back to the original disk? Have you tried other floppies, just in case the disk is physically damaged.

That's one I have that doesn't work for me, so I'll be trying that one myself eventually...
Of course, being in the USA, I have the whole NTSC/PAL issue also.. I need to make sure the versions I get to write back are NTSC versions. When I was first looking for ADFs when I got back into Amiga, I found TOSEC which was great for naming, and has a flag for that, but it didn't look like it was used very often. Although that was several years ago...

desiv

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:53 pm

We tested SHO successfully while in private beta. Something is fishy here. ;) Real DD disk (no HD, with or without hole taped)? Switching drives might help, too.

desiv

Post by desiv » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:06 am

OK, just tried it with SuperHang-On. Same result.
The disk I created doesn't boot.

**(Update below.. It works now)

I used a new unused 3.5" DD floppy.
I'm thinking either it doesn't like my drive or there's something wrong with the IPF I used.
Admittedly, I got it from the the CAPSDI pack, #32 - SuperHang-On_816, so I'm not sure if there's something wrong with that image??

I'll test another one from that pack and see what happens...
OK, tested SuperWonderboy_586 onto the same floppy.
It rattles a lot loading and between levels, but it plays... So it's not the floppy.
I suppose it could be drive mechanism....

I'll see if I can swap it out with another one and test some more..

OK, just tested that IPF in WinUAE and it starter SuperHang-On, so maybe the drive mech???

OK, it WAS the drive I was using. I swapped from the ALPS drive to an Epson SMD-300 and re-wrote SuperHang-On back to that same disk.
Booted up just fine! Yeay!!

Now I just need to try to write that image back over my original copy....
(Well, now I think I'll remove the ALPS from the case and replace it with the Epson which is just sitting on top of it currently..) ;-)

desiv
(Too bad. The ALPS drive had 4 holes on the bottom that fit the 4 extender screws I had for my external case perfectly. The Epson has 4 holes on the bottom, but they are threaded larger and my mounting screws don't fit anymore. I'll have to come up with a different bracket for it. But working is more important at this stage.. ;-)

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:46 am

Didn't we say Alps is crap? ;)

IFW

Post by IFW » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:19 pm

I used an ALPS drive for write development... it cannot report the index signal correctly.