KryoFlux - Write support is here and coming to you!

All news about KryoFlux go here.
mr.vince

Re: KryoFlux - Write support is here and coming to you!

Post by mr.vince » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:35 pm

Small 64bit problem, no big deal.

kipper2k

Post by kipper2k » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:57 pm

Hi,

Any timeframe on the write support release ?

Thanks.

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:38 pm

I am a bit frightened to say something. Evertime I say something, some obstacle pops up, something needs to be done somewhere else or someone gets it.

I feel it's close, but hey, I've seen it in action. There's not much left to be done, bascially only more or less minor host stuff left. The firmware is all done. All you need, in 20k of compiled beautiful code.

OCMoe

Post by OCMoe » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:32 pm

mr.vince wrote:I am a bit frightened to say something. Evertime I say something, some obstacle pops up, something needs to be done somewhere else or someone gets it.

I feel it's close, but hey, I've seen it in action. There's not much left to be done, bascially only more or less minor host stuff left. The firmware is all done. All you need, in 20k of compiled beautiful code.
Could we get a preview release? We are planning a special exhibition about Apple, Inc. in May, and there's either KryoFlux or something like CD via SCSI -> PowerMac via Ethernet -> Macintosh LC via LocalTalk -> Macintosh SE, which finally is able to write the old DD format. I'd love to take the short route :)

Greetings from Oldenburg

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:28 pm

No, this would be like being a bit pregnant...

Here's some more info what is being done and why writing is different from "writing": The KF hardware is very versatile. We wanted to keep this versatility, so writing is following the same approach that is used for reading. That means there are several layers, like in the OSI model, working on top of each other. This procedure was chosen because otherwise adding new sector formats would mean rewriting large parts of code. Also just banging in some special format now to rush it out would have meant tossing large parts of code afterwards.

Writing was engineered and tested using highly sophisticated test patterns, generated in software, which ran in tests of 999 retries each. This included writing of test patterns that generate absolutely no flux reversals when needed (anyone around trying to explain this? :)).

This framework is still being worked on, not because we're lazy, but because we have to work on several projects at the same time, including the Analyser, used for verifying dumps and generating IPFs. We also have to maintain the codebase for three platforms, and we did iron out some bugs present in Mac OS and Linux ports.

Because of the dependancies in the framework, nothing will work before that last layer has been finished, so just giving out something does not help.

We're aware many of you out there wait for writing and we'd push it out faster if we could, but we always said that preservation comes first, which is why other projects need to be taken care of as well. This includes supporting institutes and archives around the world that are using KF to ingest large quantities (read: many thousand) of disks.

As I said before, we don't think it will take long until you get something. But we just can't clone our talent. Which would be nice for sure. :)

So.. hang in there. We also want to get rid of the pressure as soon as possible.

TeaRex

Post by TeaRex » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:50 am

"still being worked not"... Freudian slip? (just kidding!) For now, Happy Easter, and, pressure or not, remember it's a holiday and please spend some time with your families.

mr.vince

KryoFlux - Write support is here and coming to you!

Post by mr.vince » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:29 am

Oops. :) I am pretty satisfied, but a competitor suspected the same when, after many months, I sent a friendly new year's mail.

Anyway, it is being worked ON and most other stuff is out of the way for the time being.

OCMoe

Post by OCMoe » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:07 pm

Thanks for the explanation.

skideric

Post by skideric » Thu May 05, 2011 3:57 pm

Thanks so much for the Update!Makes sense not to release something half baked. :D
Really appreciate ALL the HARD work you guys are doing.Waiting for my unit.Pre-ordered,hope to get it by end of month.
Going to get Dual drive neat case i had forever (New) ready,install 5.25 & 3.5 Drives.Have the Models used for Development.In fact i got LOTS of drives. ;)
For Now busy with my Zoom Floppy.

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:14 pm

We are moving on to PRIVATE BETA TESTING before a public release. Testers will be required to own an Amiga (A500 and A2000 preferred) and a Windows PC. If you are interested, please reply here with a quick overview (including your CPU, version of Windows, Floppy drive brand and model, Amiga model and expansion information).

We expect to get more volunteers than needed, please don't be upset if we don't pick you. Public release will follow shortly after!