One-pass "flippy" disk support is here!

All news about KryoFlux go here.
keir

Re: One-pass "flippy" disk support is here!

Post by keir » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:22 am

How specific is the PCB mod to the drive in the Youtube video? Is there an underlying principle which could be applied across other PCB schematics?

And what happens if you leave the extending bit of card off the trk0 actuator? Intriguing!

mr.vince

One-pass "flippy" disk support is here!

Post by mr.vince » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:59 am

It bypasses the TRK 00 sensor. Not extending it means the drive would do strange stuff due to the sensor activating.

A second drive of course can't work... We need an additional signal line - p33; this usually is ground so adding another unmodded drive (p33 connected to ground) will eliminate the signal.

keir

Post by keir » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:04 pm

Ah, thanks. I think I worked it out now, from the circuit description on another forum thread.

You leave the trk00-detect photoresistor in place and active, keeping drive firmware happy at start of day, and allowing kryoflux to reliably calibrate to cylinder 0. Later, kryoflux applies a voltage to pin 33, turns on the transistor in the bypass circuit, allowing current to bypass the photoresistor and thus effectively disabling the trk00 signal.

Is FLP33 signal supported in the Linux version of DTC yet, or do I need to use the Windows version? Could I take the Windows firmware and use it with Linux DTC? ;)

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:12 pm

You will need to use the latest Linux version to be released today or tomorrow...

keir

Post by keir » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:38 pm

mr.vince wrote:You will need to use the latest Linux version to be released today or tomorrow...
Awesome news!!

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:11 pm

Our maintainer is in NZ, so a little shift due to timezones. :)

RJMcInty

Re: One-pass

Post by RJMcInty » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:27 am

mr.vince wrote:It bypasses the TRK 00 sensor. Not extending it means the drive would do strange stuff due to the sensor activating.
Yes, you absolutely need to extend it. If you don't, then you run the risk of the drive losing track of where it is and hammering the head against the hard stop, which will knock it out of alignment. Trust me, you don't want that to happen. :)

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:00 pm

Ouch.

BTW the software update is out: http://www.kryoflux.com/index.html#download

IFW

Post by IFW » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:36 pm

keir wrote:Ah, thanks. I think I worked it out now, from the circuit description on another forum thread.

You leave the trk00-detect photoresistor in place and active, keeping drive firmware happy at start of day, and allowing kryoflux to reliably calibrate to cylinder 0. Later, kryoflux applies a voltage to pin 33, turns on the transistor in the bypass circuit, allowing current to bypass the photoresistor and thus effectively disabling the trk00 signal.

Is FLP33 signal supported in the Linux version of DTC yet, or do I need to use the Windows version? Could I take the Windows firmware and use it with Linux DTC? ;)
DTC does not control any drive signals in any way, it's all firmware controlled.
The firmware is independent of the host software, however in this case it has some upgrades that make it incompatible with older DTC releases.
When trying to use a firmware where some of the features are not supported, DTC complains about compatibility.

balrog

Post by balrog » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:08 pm

Hi,

I'm a Mac user, and noticed that DTC for Mac is still at version 1. Since the Linux version is out, is there a chance the Mac version will be out soon as well?