KryoFlux gives you full floppy support on Windows 10

All news about KryoFlux go here.
mr.vince

KryoFlux gives you full floppy support on Windows 10

Post by mr.vince » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:37 am

With the recent roll-out of Windows 10 and the aggressive update policy, rumour has it that already 14+ million systems have been migrated to the latest version of Windows. As communicated ealier, Windows 10 has dropped support for USB floppy drives which very likely means that Microsoft is no further investing time and effort to support our beloved magnetic media.

The good news is that KryoFlux release 2.51 works fine with Windows 10 (only 64bit editions tested so far).

If you chose to upgrade your existing Win7 or Win8 installation, please be advised that Windows will remove the KryoFlux driver and use the Bossa driver instead.

Please follow these steps to restore the correct driver after the update:

1. Connect the KryoFlux board (no drive needed)
2. Open Device Manager
3. Check under LPT & COM ports that a device called "Bossa" pops up
4. Right click the Bossa device, chose to update driver.
5. Chose to pick the driver yourself from a list (should be second option at the bottom)
6. If you already had KryoFlux installed before, it should be in this list, otherwise chose to "Have disk", then navigate to the drivers folder in the KryoFlux folder
7. Pick the KryoFlux driver
8. Now run the KryoFlux software, either by running the GUI (just pick something and chose to dump) or run e.g. "DTC -c2" from the command line
9. The firmware loads to the device, it re-enumerates.
10. Check again under LPT & COM, the Bossa device is back.
11. Once again replace the driver starting at 4.
12. You're done. Happy dumping!

Feedback welcome!

BarryB

Re: KryoFlux gives you full floppy support on Windows 10

Post by BarryB » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:36 pm

Not on mine (10 Enterprise 64bit), it just said COM3 so updated it with the Kryoflux driver and then it was plain sailing from then on!

But yes, it's fine in Windows 10 as I dumped a couple of disks and submitted them without any issues!

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:04 pm

Might be that the Enterprise does handle drivers a little differently and does not pamper the user too much.

BarryB

Post by BarryB » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:02 pm

Unsure, but it works just fine.

Did you run it through Microsofts Application Compatibility Toolkit to test :lol:

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:36 pm

Is there any way not having to do this every time I connect the KryoFlux? Not only is it cumbersome, I also noticed the COM1 COM2 etc number for the Bossa device is incremented each time I do this. I'm afraid Windows might have some kind of limit to this number and this process will stop working.

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:00 am

If you use the very same port each time and it still does this there seems to be an issue with Windows. Never happened elsewhere before. Since Microsoft designs and builds the driver interface... not much we can do.

toml_12953

Post by toml_12953 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:44 pm

mr.vince wrote:As communicated ealier, Windows 10 has dropped support for USB floppy drives which very likely means that Microsoft is no further investing time and effort to support our beloved magnetic media.
3.5" USB floppy drives work perfectly with Windows 10. I can format them and copy files to and from them with no errors.

Tom L

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:43 pm

That is very nice but not in line with Microsoft's statement. Still glad it works for you. Enjoy!

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:22 pm

It was my understanding that they were simply not bundling the generic floppy USB drivers any more with Windows 10. So when connected you would have to either install a manufacturer supplied driver or it would search for one. That by itself is not the worst thing in the world, you had to install drivers all the time back in the Windows 98 days when they first came out.

Although I have heard some whining from MS about the internals the USB stack that vendor drivers use, as if it is too hard to maintain that or something. Then again, they couldn't even keep their Start Menu working :P.

Does anyone happen to know off hand what the situation is with real motherboard FDCs? (Yes, there were a few not-that-old motherboards that escaped lobotomization) I haven't had a chance to try that yet.

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:28 pm

Would you mind if at least I say... Can't be bothered?! :D Got boxes full of drives and hundreds of KryoFluxes around.