Stains on floppy disks

All general stuff about SPS, like philosophy and mission - discuss it here!
SLC

Stains on floppy disks

Post by SLC » Thu May 14, 2015 7:38 am

Hi

Thought I'd ask here too, in hopes of getting a response from someone who's "seen it all". I discovered some of my floppies were stained by a coincidence here the other day (see http://colaku.com/~tomsk/dirtyfloppy.jpg )

What on earth is this? I found it to be present on every single Nashua-disk I own which has the batch number vertically written (334011). Also have a few from another batch where the number is written horizontally. No signs of anything like that at all. Is it mold or something else? It was also present in all the boxes that were previously unopened.

mr.vince

Re: Stains on floppy disks

Post by mr.vince » Thu May 14, 2015 7:59 am

Japan has high humidity. Could be the disks got infected with mould spores at the factory and are now growing...

SLC

Post by SLC » Thu May 14, 2015 8:15 am

I should also mention that if one bothered, this can indeed be wiped off. The most effective way, even though you're not supposed to do that, seems to be gently swiping your finger over the stains. Can mold be removed that easily? Also, should I just throw these away? (they're unused, so it stings a bit to do just that)

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy » Thu May 14, 2015 11:43 am

The gunk is probably in the jacket lining too.

You could try rinsing out the disks with warm water (run water in around the hub). Then use a q-tip or two to prop up the jacket around the hub and leave them to try in front of a fan for a day or two. Don't use a hair dryer for drying, as that will warp the jacket. Then clean any remaining spots through the opening using a q-tip and alcohol.

But there is a good chance the disk surface will fall apart when run through a drive. So be prepared with a cleaning disk.

SLC

Post by SLC » Thu May 14, 2015 1:45 pm

I doesn't appear to be inside (I cut one open to check), but I've decided I'll discard them either way. Selling them to someone who will bother manually cleaning them, and if noone buys I'll just throw them away. But since we're talking almost 70 floppies I wanted to see if anyone has more patience than me before I just threw them away. I wiped the dirt off with a q-tip on a couple of disks and tested both writing and reading. No problems found. I put them out for auction and informed well about the defect, and a starting price which would equal less than $1 for all of them.. so not ripping anyone off :)