Bad original masterings

All general stuff about SPS, like philosophy and mission - discuss it here!
Petari

Bad original masterings

Post by Petari » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:03 pm

While doing preservation on my way, I encountered 2 cases of certainly bad mastered originals. I post it for information and as warning.

1: Tetra Quest for Atari ST, US Edition, Microdeal - it has corrupted couple files, like background image. Information about it I got from Ijor self, and no any signs of bad Pasti dump - CRC errors or similar at those files disk area. I replaced them with good ones, from 'bad' source, and it is complete now - but not in form some like to see :-)

2. Iron Lord for Atari ST, Action 16 edition, English, 1 Disk. It has corrupted file FILE09 . And it is for sure corrupted before mastering, packing.
Game will crash after winning in Battle stage. If replace mentioned file with proper one (this time from good, original French version dump), can continue game. Again, certainly not bad dump or damaged floppy. Just plain bad work of publisher/composer/packer.

And lack of testing - what initiates question: how many more of such we have yet ?

mr.vince

Re: Bad original masterings

Post by mr.vince » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:34 am

There are some, e.g. PaperBoy Amiga PAL.

ashleygull

Post by ashleygull » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:24 am

Hi guys,

I happen to have Chase HQ ST handy (sha1 ce4d71db6789b07b35297d4e22284ff8a7350424). On track 0 head 0, the last block is a little weird, with only the second gap stream present. This would end up with a splice position at the end of that gap, or in other words in the first bits of the first block. In my implementation I ended up writing the splice mark out-of-array, making it invisible. Looks like the official library does not write a splice mark anywhere either (couldn't find that specific code), since the resulting bitstreams are identical.

rcade

Post by rcade » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:50 pm

I recall receiving lots of bad images (bad in the same way) of Gee Bee Air Rally (PAL) for the C64 from many different sources.
-
Pete Rittwage
C64 Preservation Project
http://c64preservation.com

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:30 am

SPS ID 4301 seems to be a good one, so I assume there was a bad duplication run which was cured by a running replacement later in the product's shelf life.