C64 format info

All general stuff about SPS, like philosophy and mission - discuss it here!
SLC

C64 format info

Post by SLC »

So, I'm reviving this topic again... I am currently coding my own tool to deal with disks, and while I fully accept and support dtc being closed source, I was wondering if whoever added the various protection schemes would mind sharing the info about them? (How to decode if non-standard encoding, structure, checksums, etc.. you get the drift).

Any info at all would be appreciated. :)
brightcaster

Re: C64 format info

Post by brightcaster »

There is a lot of info about the different protection schemes at this place:

https://c64preservation.com/dp.php?pg=home

David
SLC

Post by SLC »

This is far from complete and also contains some errors. A lot of details also missing.
mr.vince

Post by mr.vince »

But it's a start.

Documenting things takes a lot of time and unfortunately dev time is really limited atm, as there's a complete overhaul of DTC and the Analyser taking place.
SLC

Post by SLC »

But since you already have included a lot of support for this in dtc already, wouldn't it be possible to share the info that the decoders in dtc is based on at least? It feels like it shouldn't be necessary to re-invent the wheel by redoing the work already done...
rcade

Post by rcade »

SLC wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:01 pm This is far from complete and also contains some errors. A lot of details also missing.
If you have better information, please just let me know. I don't have the time to check every title or submission extensively.
-
Pete Rittwage
C64 Preservation Project
http://c64preservation.com
SLC

Post by SLC »

rcade wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:31 pm
SLC wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:01 pm This is far from complete and also contains some errors. A lot of details also missing.
If you have better information, please just let me know. I don't have the time to check every title or submission extensively.
Why do you think I am asking for it here, where I know someone have technical details on a variety of formats? :) (They need to have, or else it couldn't have worked as well as it does in dtc, I just asked if this current information could be shared as there is no real reason it can't...)

Also, I don't think I saw any specific pages on your site with technical details on how the various formats are encoded, how sync is gained, number of sync bytes, decoding scheme and that sort of thing. If I overlooked that, could you provide me a direct link to it? :)
rcade

Post by rcade »

SLC wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:29 am
rcade wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:31 pm
Why do you think I am asking for it here, where I know someone have technical details on a variety of formats? :) (They need to have, or else it couldn't have worked as well as it does in dtc, I just asked if this current information could be shared as there is no real reason it can't...)

Also, I don't think I saw any specific pages on your site with technical details on how the various formats are encoded, how sync is gained, number of sync bytes, decoding scheme and that sort of thing. If I overlooked that, could you provide me a direct link to it? :)
No, I have not collected or documented format information for non-DOS formats. I was just responding to the mention that my site contained errors. I am happy to correct them. I only really note very vague descriptions of the protections in most cases... there are so many.

It would be nice to have this information. I think the best source would be someone like LordCrass on Lemon64 (he may be on this forum also, but that one is much more active).
-
Pete Rittwage
C64 Preservation Project
http://c64preservation.com
mr.vince

Post by mr.vince »

SLC wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:41 am But since you already have included a lot of support for this in dtc already, wouldn't it be possible to share the info that the decoders in dtc is based on at least?
This is not a database with wiki articles we could share. All of this is internal documentation and well commented code in DTC. The former has not been prepared for public release and the latter is not available. It'd take resources to prep this. Such resources (=manpower) are not available at the moment.