Re-attach a detached Hub Ring?

All general stuff about SPS, like philosophy and mission - discuss it here!
BarryB

Re-attach a detached Hub Ring?

Post by BarryB » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:31 pm

Have a 5¼" CBM 64 Floppy which is in a bad state, lots of mold/debris on the surface and the Hub Ring has now come off when I was spinning the disk while cleaning. Is it possible to re-attach the Hub Ring, if so, what adhesive is used?

Also, has it got to be 100% aligned with the existing hole in the disk and is it really needed seeing as i'm only going to be reading the data off it to get the stream files then it won't be put in a drive again.

SomeGuy

Re: Re-attach a detached Hub Ring?

Post by SomeGuy » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:59 pm

I'd also love to hear any suggestions on how to best re-attach these without making a big mess. And yes, if they are not centered correctly that can cause problems.

However, the hub rings are not really needed. The hub rings were included on most later 5.25" low-density media to address some kind of pinching or gripping issue with a few specific 5.25" drives. Unless you happen to have one of those drives, it will work fine without it. And even if you did, it wouldn't matter for just a couple of uses. In fact, I am looking at a couple of earlier low-density 5.25" disks right now that were manufactured without a hub ring.

So unless you are trying to restore a disk to original cosmetic condition, you should not bother. And even then, you risk getting excess glue all over the disk or getting the hub ring permanently non-centered.

BTW, if that disk is as grungy as it sounds there is very likely gunk in the jacket lining. If you aren't moving the cookie to a clean jacket, you might consider the cleaning method described here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1135&p=10491#p10491

BarryB

Post by BarryB » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:56 pm

I've read most posts on cleaning disks, short of removing it from the jacket is the best method but I don't like ruining disks!

Anyway, this disk is so bad that after cleaning both sides the mold has adhered to the surface so much that in one spot the magnetic coating has come away so you can see through the disk if you hold it up to the light! Oviousky been stored in very bad conditions and so the disk is not worth salvaging, so looking to get a replacement disk if possible instead!

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:39 pm

Thats too bad. From the sound if it, it was probably a goner anyway. What cleaning method did you use?

I think the worst I have encountered so far were disks with seemingly small scratches that "hemorrhaged" brown magnetic particles when cleaned with a q-tip and alcohol, and some Wabash disks with something seemingly sticky on the surface that caused the drive head to pull off all of the magnetic stuff (and turn see-through) unless there were washed first.

BarryB

Post by BarryB » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:29 pm

I use a cotton bud or lint free cloth soaked in IPA and dab the disk through the hole then dab it with a dry cotton bud or lint free cloth, repeating as needed to get the dirt off the disk! I try not to wipe/rub 5¼" disks as the magnetic coating is more prone to rubbing off!!

3½" disks can withstand a gentle wiping, not damaged a disk this way yet!

ZrX

Post by ZrX » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:40 am

Tiny pinholes with light shining through don't necessarily affect reading the disk. It's also possible to push and/or pull the head carriage to read a bit from the sides.

If there are signs that the disk surface is coming off try to avoid using anything with alcohol/solvents in it for cleaning. In such cases it's best to cut open the disk for cleaning under running water if at all possible.

Missing center ring hasn't really been an issue here. Had only one disk where it kept slipping unless the spindle hub was pressed down manually.

BarryB

Post by BarryB » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:34 pm

Well I did a test dump and it started squealing immediately, ejected the disk and saw the gunk on the head!! Cleaned the head and dumped a known good flippy disk and it dumped without errors so luckily no apparent damage to the drive head!!

So it looks like the surface is too far gone with mold to actually read without damaging the dive, so have put the disk to bed and won't bother with it again!

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:06 am

That sounds a lot like what my Wabash disks did if I didn't wash them first. Putting one in a drive would cause it to screech like crazy and rip off the surface, even if I used a q-tip and alcohol to clean the disk first.

ZrX

Post by ZrX » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:32 am

Alcohol actually helps damage such surface even further. Throughly cleaning with soap under warm running water is what should be done to save anything from such disks.

BarryB

Post by BarryB » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:00 pm

Would some distilled water and soap be better then?