Same ticket for new dumps?

All general stuff about SPS, like philosophy and mission - discuss it here!
notbobsmith

Same ticket for new dumps?

Post by notbobsmith » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:45 am

Hi,
A while ago a submitted some more dumps in the PC folder (and one in the Apple II). When I first submitted some dumps and created the ticket, I was told to use the same ticket. So I used the same ticket, but I did not receive a reply and the files are still in the folders. This was over a month ago. I just wanted to make sure I was doing this correctly. Thanks.

Feltzkrone

Re: Same ticket for new dumps?

Post by Feltzkrone » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:30 am

First of all thanks for contributing the dumps. Please be assured that as long as you stay consistent with your nickname and you just want to submit dumps we don't need any notification about it and will still keep track about who has submitted which dumps. The place where the dumps are submitted to is just an intermediate one, from time to time the dumps will be removed from there after they have been transferred to different locations though it has no direct relation to any possible progress in processing the dumps.

Along with the notification there was a question about how to dump PC flippy disks properly which, to be honest, I have overlooked a few days ago when I saw your ticket message and quickly (and wrongly) judged from it that it's just a notification and nothing else. Basically I'd suggest posting questions like those here in the forums as every user would benefit from any public clarification regarding how to dump disks of a particular system or format. Also in many cases other users also can tell you what exactly to do so that you don't have to rely on help from SPS directly.

Regarding your question: Yes, a PC flippy disk with two index holes can be dumped with -g0 and just be flipped over before dumping it again with -g0. For dumping a flippy disk without a second index hole (which is commonly the case for C64, Atari 8-bit...) or if you would like to dump your disk with two index holes in one pass (without flipping it) you would need a modified 5.25" drive. For some details see here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3&p=1991#p1991

IFW

Post by IFW » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:52 am

I'd like to add that from very early on, disks were duplicated with flippy modded drives, even if they had two index holes... so the authentic as well as convenient and less error prone way of imaging these disks is using a flippy modded drive.

It is also important to have both sides of a disk dumped always, even if side 1 seems to be empty - we never know what's there until it goes through full analysis. And years later when the disks will no longer be readable we won't be able to double-check what was on an undumped side either...

notbobsmith

Post by notbobsmith » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:24 am

Feltzkrone wrote:First of all thanks for contributing the dumps. Please be assured that as long as you stay consistent with your nickname and you just want to submit dumps we don't need any notification about it and will still keep track about who has submitted which dumps. The place where the dumps are submitted to is just an intermediate one, from time to time the dumps will be removed from there after they have been transferred to different locations though it has no direct relation to any possible progress in processing the dumps.
Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't sure how you did things. I know you guys are busy, and I was just worried that my submissions would be lost in the shuffle.
Feltzkrone wrote:Along with the notification there was a question about how to dump PC flippy disks properly which, to be honest, I have overlooked a few days ago when I saw your ticket message and quickly (and wrongly) judged from it that it's just a notification and nothing else. Basically I'd suggest posting questions like those here in the forums as every user would benefit from any public clarification regarding how to dump disks of a particular system or format. Also in many cases other users also can tell you what exactly to do so that you don't have to rely on help from SPS directly
I actually did ask about this a while ago:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=815

I just wanted to make sure it was clear what it was I did (or at least trying to do) and to make sure if I was successful or not.
IFW wrote:I'd like to add that from very early on, disks were duplicated with flippy modded drives, even if they had two index holes... so the authentic as well as convenient and less error prone way of imaging these disks is using a flippy modded drive.<br abp="551"><br abp="552">It is also important to have both sides of a disk dumped always, even if side 1 seems to be empty - we never know what's there until it goes through full analysis. And years later when the disks will no longer be readable we won't be able to double-check what was on an undumped side either...
This is actually the only flippy disk I have (eBay purchase. I've never actually had an Apple II) so I don't think I can make use of a modded drive. Hopefully, what I submitted is satisfactory for submission.

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:17 am

Am I correct in understanding that the Kryoflux won't read a disk at all if there is no Index pulse, even if the drive supports it? There is no way to ignore the lack of an index? (Or am I just badly mis-reading things again?) I do understand that would be "bad" for preserving original media, but that shouldn't matter for user data disks.

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:55 am

Exactly. Otherwise there's no reference for speed measurement etc.