Submission questions

All general stuff about SPS, like philosophy and mission - discuss it here!
Darkstar

Submission questions

Post by Darkstar » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:40 am

I'm currently in the process of dumping over 300 seemingly original IBM PC disks, from DOS/Windows install media to things like Norton Utilities and even a few games.

I intend to submit them all to SPS for preservation.

Since I'm doing scans of the floppies as well (for uploading to another preservation/archival site) I was wondering if I should submit the scans to SPS as well? Problem is that most floppies have been marked with pen/permanent marker/blue/yellow text marker, and things like names, serial numbers etc. have been written on them. Some disks even have names and/or addresses of the person who owned it written on them. Of course I don't want any information from the original owner of the disks on the internet, so here are my two questions:

Does SPS even want the scribbled/marked label scans? Or only those which are clean and pristine?

Also, if I submit all floppy scans, will there be a guarantee that someone removes/edits the relevant personal information on the disks like serial numbers or names/addresses? Or would I have to do this myself before submitting?

thanks,
-Darkstar

ZrX

Re: Submission questions

Post by ZrX » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:56 pm

It's good practice to include photos/scans of the disk and the packaging and possible extra material for identifications purposes of different versions that were on the market.

Still I'd say you're safe to remove any unwanted personal info written there, as long as what's originally printed is still visible.

Darkstar

Post by Darkstar » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:39 pm

ZrX wrote:Still I'd say you're safe to remove any unwanted personal info written there, as long as what's originally printed is still visible.
That's exactly the problem, often the scribbling is all over the place and it'd be a major headache to clean that up in PhotoShop.

It basically boils down to this simple question:
Will SPS make any efforts in cleaning up the disk labels if neccessary?
If the answer is "no, you have to clean up everything beforehand, we use it with only minor edits (like scaling, color correction, etc.)" then I will not provide any scans if there's personal information (names, serial numbers, etc.) on them, simply because I lack the time to do that for dozens or hundreds of disks

If the answer is "yes" then I can (and will) simply provide the full raw TIF scans because I can be sure that it'll be handled decently and with respect to the privacy of the former owner(s) of the disks (which is not me, in case you were wondering ;) )

Now, I'm not entirely sure if you're part of the SPS team and your answer can be considered official, or if you're just a regular user (I think official members have a badge or something next to their username?), so I'll hope that either you or one of the official SPS members can provide the answer to that question to confirm one way or the other?

IFW

Post by IFW » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:00 pm

ZrX is an official SPS member :)
Scans and photos are being used for identifying different releases etc, so they are always welcome even if they can't be used for preservation itself.
In other words: yes, please submit them, and if they are photos please make sure that important text such as copyright year etc is always readable.

ZrX

Post by ZrX » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:05 am

Still adding that likely nothing is touched after uploading the dumps, but the photos/scans aren't going to go public anyway.

Darkstar

Post by Darkstar » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:13 pm

Okay then I'll just upload everything later when I have it dumped. Might take a while though. And it's already well over 2.5 gig of dumps and I'm not even halfway through the 3.5'' disks yet :lol:

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:47 pm

I thought SPS only took games. Has this changed?

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:38 pm

The main focus still is games, but if someone is wanting to submit something, it will be sent to the vault. Even though it might not be processed instantly.