Where do I upload all my preserved IBM PC software?

All general stuff about SPS, like philosophy and mission - discuss it here!
NRS

Re: Where do I upload all my preserved IBM PC software?

Post by NRS »

Maybe you want to reconsider your wording
No, I would rather want to reconsider my contribution. My wording is exactly as it ought to be. I'm not talking about a delay of a couple of months, I'm talking seven years. No excuse about "can't process by just pushing a button" can justify that.
mr.vince

Post by mr.vince »

Still doesn't change the math. SPS can't enforce people donating their time to analysing dumps. It's not-profit with very limited funding. No one gets paid for the work done. Pepople dump and analyse in their spare time, picking dumps they want to work on.

Would it help if I'd reach out to the people in charge to ask for your contribution to be deleted? Then you could be sure no one is benefiting from your contribution while you have not received an IPF for it.
NRS

Post by NRS »

Would it help if I'd reach out to the people in charge to ask for your contribution to be deleted?
Yes, do it.
Then you could be sure no one is benefiting from your contribution while you have not received an IPF for it.
What makes you think that you are the only outlet that does "software preservation"? It's been uploaded to other more worthy/appreciative collections for quite some time. You probably believe that you are the only ones who do it "properly"... :roll:
mr.vince

Post by mr.vince »

I never said the last bit or meant what you imply. I just could not find any other reason for the initial anger than to think of not getting something in return for what you contributed. I wish there'd be a team of ten, paid by a caring billionaire or the like, preserving our all digital past. But with a very small team trying to keep afloat and contributions good for maybe a dozen lifetimes to crawl through... it's a neverending task. On top of giving out information and advice about persevation processes to others, e.g. libraries, museums etc.

From what I get the data which you have also shared elsewhere is good and usable and the current issue is "just" that no IPF has been made for them. I've expressed my understanding for your opinion and I hope this helps to see that this isn't about hoarding. Still, the data is available somewhere now (as you have stated), which is already an achievement, made by many. Maybe that can be agreed on.
dlfrsilver

Post by dlfrsilver »

Hello Mr Vince, happy new years and all the best.

I can help NRS if you want me to do so. Just tell me ;)
sky76

Post by sky76 »

Maybe I did misunderstand something, but SPS encourages users to submit imaged floppies - in the end that's what the whole thing is about, preserving. So that is the part of "giving" for all of us and it is wonderful that this legacy of gaming culture is being taken care of individuals in their spare time.

I've always thought when you submit a certain game dumped, you're eligible to receive an "official" IPF for that game because you are an owner of the original media, at least I remember reading in forums from people who got IPFs for their dumps. Or was this long time ago when there was more spare time available and now it is not possible anymore due to the amount of incoming dumps? What can we do about that to remedy the situation?

Because what is the whole point about "IPF generation from dumps" if only a handful people in the world have "access" or even worse, (understandably) no time of giving IPFs to people that are contributing?

When I submit "Game X" imaged from original floppies why not receive the already existing IPFs of "Game X"? Why do they have to be generated again? Because they need to be personal copies with every magnetic flux information exactly from the source? I understand the theory behind that, but maybe that is just too much.

Example: Person A and person B own "Game X". They might "swap" their media, because in the end they bought their copy from a shelf where lots of copies of that game were sold. So which exact copy finally belongs to whom might not be of relevance - at least when you had faulty disks back then you could send them in and got a replacement for that. So it should be equally ok if I have a media dump of "Game X" to receive the IPF from person Z that dumped "their" copy several years ago.

If this is not an option, shouldn't at least "the art of creating IPF" be given to the public, so that everything can be preserved for the future an not dying some years in the future because we all might not live forever.

Just some thoughts, I know that time is sparse. But why not try to solve this problem?
A1200 + Indivision AGA + ACA1233 & Blizzard 1230IV+SCSI + easynet
A600 + Indivision ECS + ACA620 + A604n // CD32 + SX32 MK2 + Indivision AGA
A500 + ACA500 + 5 spare A500's (one with the C= key, Serial No 3358)
robbo007

Post by robbo007 »

@skye76,
I’ve found the best place to archive and preserve is the internet archive. That way it’s available to all with no questions asked. In my opinion that how preservation should be. That my two cents worth.

Regards,
Darkstar

Post by Darkstar »

Internet Archive is indeed the best place to upload KF dumps and the converted IMG files, as well as scans etc. There are already hundreds if not thousands of KF dumps on IA

There is no reason to wait for IPF files, as there is now a healthy ecosystem of open-source tools around KF raw dumps, with means to convert them to any format desired. There are only a handful of emulators that support the IPF format anyway (due to the closed-source nature of the library), but since you can convert raw KF dumps to IMD, TD0, G64, etc. with open-source tools, that is the way to go.

And about the point of IPF files being "authoritative", yes, it would indeed be nice to have proper, analyzed dumps as "official" image (instead of people dumping floppies with whatever hardware they have and submitting a hash of that image to other preservation projects, without thoroughly checking the image first)... but I agree with mr.vince here that this is in no way feasible for a small group of volunteers like SoftPress.

Maybe that passage of text that suggests you get an IPF file if you submit your dump should be removed from the website. But at least in my case (I also submitted something 7 years or so back) they were rather open and honest about it, and said something along the lines of "we don't collect IBM PC dumps yet, you can submit it but don't hold your breath that you will receive an IPF in the foreseeable future".

Maybe we can create our own database, using a Google spreadsheet and collecting links to KF files on IA, complete with some metadata etc. ;-)
sky76

Post by sky76 »

Sounds interesting. It would also be interesting to connect the information regarding KF dumps on IA with other official sites such as HOL or MyAbandonware etc.
A1200 + Indivision AGA + ACA1233 & Blizzard 1230IV+SCSI + easynet
A600 + Indivision ECS + ACA620 + A604n // CD32 + SX32 MK2 + Indivision AGA
A500 + ACA500 + 5 spare A500's (one with the C= key, Serial No 3358)