Any tips for dumping partially degaussed disks?

All questions regarding the dumping of media go here.
SomeGuy

Any tips for dumping partially degaussed disks?

Post by SomeGuy » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:09 am

I'm assuming it is a lost cause, but I thought I would just ask. Is there anything that might aid in dumping disks that have been partially degaussed?

In this case about 20% of the data on each track of each disk is replaced with "noise", as if someone took a small degausser and quickly ran it across the center of each disk.

mr.vince

Re: Any tips for dumping partially degaussed disks?

Post by mr.vince » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:48 pm

If it has been degaussed... No. Unless this would have been done with an erase head. In this case one could mis-align the drive to find any leftovers between tracks, unless erased by the coils as well.

brightcaster

Re: Any tips for dumping partially degaussed disks?

Post by brightcaster » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:53 pm

If it's really degaused I see no chance to resurect it. But I remember a case where I had a 5.25" floppy that developed mold on the small parts wich are not covered by the jacket. The mold lifted the head in a way that it could not read anything but noise. After cleaning the affected parts everything went fine again!

But don't use alcohol or similar to clean the disk surface! It will destroy the coating in the same manner as it does when cleaning the heads! I just used distilled water...

Regards, David