Need assistance with IBM Ultima5 1988 Copy Protection

All questions regarding the dumping of media go here.
comradesean

Need assistance with IBM Ultima5 1988 Copy Protection

Post by comradesean » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:59 pm

I'm new to magnetic data preservation and I'm looking for a way to create 1:1 disk images of my floppies protected or otherwise.
For Ultima 5, I currently own a FC5025 and it's listing approximately 8 sector errors in an early track (6 I think) of Disk 1. Did a checksum and this doesn't affect data. Does this sound normal for copy protection or does it sound like my disk is bad?

I don't mind buying additional equipment, but as I said I'm new to magnetic data preservation and I'm not even sure if these bad sectors are typical of copy protection for my software. And if this is due to protection, can the KryoFlux create an image that can mimic these bad sectors and how does it do it? Is it filled with junk data or is it possible to get an accurate checksum between two rips?

mr.vince

Re: Need assistance with IBM Ultima5 1988 Copy Protection

Post by mr.vince » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:41 pm

To my knowledge the FC5025 does not return raw but decoded data. Hence 50% of the data (clock bits) plus X is discarded in the controller. This may be ok for pure data disks (unless you have to recover data or want to find out about modification). KryoFlux will give you a high resolution flux dump including anomalies (e.g. protection) and you can load this data in many emulators.

comradesean

Post by comradesean » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:48 pm

I have a few questions because I'm looking for a decent solution to archive this and more.

Concerning only IBM/PC formatted disks, What all is the KryoFlux unable to read from a disk?

If I created a raw image of the disk and then loaded it onto another blank disk, what differences are there between the two disks?

And most importantly, Would I be able to create a disk image, mount it, and then run it within DOSBox without any hassle irregardless of copy protection/sector positioning/boot information on the disk? Excluding any flaws with DOSBox anyway

IFW

Post by IFW » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:54 am

The only thing that KryoFlux - or in fact any sampler at all - cannot read is if the disk surface is physically damaged on purpose e.g. with laser, needle etc...
The only one game positively known to use this is Flak on C64.

If you copy one disk to another there won't be any difference between the two.

No, because DOSBox afaik only supports sector images, which is only good for games with off disk protection.
However, there is a PC emulator in which you can use KryoFlux dumps to play protected games.

comradesean

Post by comradesean » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:20 pm

Thanks for the answers. I ended up making a purchase last night since I'm hoping to be archiving quite a few items.
Also by other PC Emulator do you mean PCE by Hampa Hug?

IFW

Post by IFW » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:40 pm

Yes, I think that's the one.