Nooby !!

All questions regarding the dumping of media go here.
supaduper

Nooby !!

Post by supaduper » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:21 pm

Hi Guys, great system and many thanks for your hard work its appreciated.

Ok just a quick question, I used kffree on my a1200 to dump a raw copy of the game `Superhangon`, which works great in winuae,
yet when i try to write the file back to disk on my Pee Cee it says `Stream encoder problem`, am i missing something or can I not write dumps made on my Amiga back to disk ?
thanks

BarryB

Re: Nooby !!

Post by BarryB » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:28 pm

The output from kffree isn't a writeable format so no, you can't write it back to disk! The kffree tool is mainly for creating your own dumps to run under emulation and PC drives can't natively write back Amiga images anyway so it has no idea what that RAW dump is!

Only with a Kryoflux and an IPF of that game will you be able to write a 1:1 copy back to disk just like the original.

supaduper

Post by supaduper » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:50 pm

Awesome thanks for the quick answer Barry,I already have a kryoflux board, I should have mentioned that.
I love this device and am just starting to get my head round its complexities, how fantastic though to have a piece of kit like this :)

BarryB

Post by BarryB » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:07 pm

Ah, right, thought you was trying to write the RAW file back to a PC drive! If you have a Kryoflux then you only need the IPF. You can get them by submitting a dump to SPS and wait for them to send the IPF, which due to the nature of their work could take months/years! Or obtain them 'elsewhere' as SPS don't spread IPFs and they only send you the IPF of the disk you have dumped!

If you have a C64 it's even easier as you can create working images of most, if not all, C64 disks by creating a G64 from the streams and writing it back to 5.25" disk. Actually, maybe it's not that easy as you have to have a Flippy modded drive to ready both sides of the disk and disks with 2 index holes in them to write the flipside back if the disk is a flippy disk!

supaduper

Post by supaduper » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:48 pm

I really appreciate you answering my questions Barry,Ii get the picture now, i will start dumping my disks and test them in winuae which I suppose is the litmus test ! if they work then its a good raw stream ready for the SPS team to do their magic !
Cheers once again Barry

BarryB

Post by BarryB » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:54 pm

Only SPS will know if your disks are 100% clean, bad or modified!

Just because they may work when dumped with kffree and load in WinUAE doesn't mean it's a 'good' dump, there could be damaged tracks on the disk that you don't know about, particularly if they are heavily copy protected, and without playing the whole game to the end you may never know about them! Just dump your disks with the script in the sticky topic, send a ticket to SPS for an upload account on their FTP and upload the disks you've dumped. Using the script will make sure the correct parameters are used for Amiga dumping and preservation, also RAR or 7Zip the streams for easier uploading and for SPS to sort!

You can submit a ticket here http://www.softpres.org/contact to request an upload account for submitting any dumps!