Help with "Alien Addition" (1982)

All questions regarding the dumping of media go here.
wxsampson

Help with "Alien Addition" (1982)

Post by wxsampson »

I'm having some trouble getting a working copy of "Alien Addition" pictured here:https://www.dropbox.com/s/1z0wgzssafou2 ... 5%20AM.jpg. This title was released for a number of platforms, but I'm fairly sure this a later Commodore 64 release (ROM video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGl1A1kPkuc).

I've taken preservation dump of the floppy, and run the stream file against the CBM GCR profile (i22 and i22a); I have decoded tracks (green) for tracks 0 to 69. All other tracks are grey. This seems alright, but the resulting sector image is not useable in VICE (a file not found error).

Have I taken a proper forensic sampling of this disk? If so, how can I create a workable sector image?

BarryB

Re: Help with "Alien Addition" (1982)

Post by BarryB »

Are you using the SPS Version of WinVICE to play the G64 image? Is it a single sided disk or a flippy?

I dump a single side using: DTC -p -ffolder\gamename_ -i0 -i6 -l8 then convert to G64 with: DTC -m1 -ffolder\gamename_ -i0 -fgamename.g64 -k2 -i22a -l8

I use a modded drive specifically for 1 pass flippy dumping but also dumps 1 side just as good, the parameters are slightly different for flippy dumping and creating the two G64 files though.

wxsampson

Post by wxsampson »

Thanks BarryB for the help. I haven't tested it with the SPS version of WinVICE, but I can do that momentarily (on Ubuntu here).

How can I tell if this disk is a flippy or not? Since it's a commercial manufacture the lack of notches is not a sure tell (if I understand correctly), since it may have been written with a drive designed to ignore this.

Thanks for the command line options, I'll try those on the side I can read presently.

Btw, what modded drive are you using? I have a few Chinon FD-55GFR drives here; I was considering seeking help to get one modded for flippies.

Best-

BarryB

Post by BarryB »

I bought mine from SPS themselves: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=766

No idea how it was modded, all I know is it works :)

To see if the disk is a flippy just try flipping it over and making a dump, if you use the -i6 guide option it will tell you if it's CBM or unformatted! Or just flip it over in a real 1541 and try to list the directory: LOAD"$",8 and then LIST. I think drives used by commercial duplicators back in the day wrote to both sides at once so they only had one write notch, some drives must have been specially doctored to write to disks with no notches as I have a couple of those!

wxsampson

Post by wxsampson »

Thanks again for the help, although I might be confused a bit. Would flipping the disk to check for data with Kryoflux (or an original Commodore 1541) really work? Keep in mind the drive I have here is not modded for flippies, and the disk has no notches. And if that does work, what's the appeal of purchasing a flippy drive, or modding one?

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince »

The notches are not the issue. You need two index holes as the drive won't work otherwise.

BarryB

Re: Help with

Post by BarryB »

mr.vince wrote:The notches are not the issue. You need two index holes as the drive won't work otherwise.
Correct! That's what happens when you've been spoiled with a flippy drive, no need to flip it over so you forget little things like index holes. Guess it's put it in a real 1541 and try to list side 1 to see if it has a directory!

wxsampson

Post by wxsampson »

Ah, that makes sense. Looks like I'm in the market for a flippy drive then.