Dumping 3.5" DSHD Mac-formatted Disks

All questions regarding the dumping of media go here.
CmdrArcturus

Dumping 3.5" DSHD Mac-formatted Disks

Post by CmdrArcturus »

Hello, I'm new to the Kryoflux community. My wife tasked me with the task of retrieving her personal files off of high-density Mac-formatted 3.5" floppy disks. I've already tried all the different formats Kryoflux supports but have so far been unable to produce reliable images of these disks. Her 400K/800K disks come out fine, but not the high-density variety. Have any of you out there had any success with these types of disks?

IFW

Re: Dumping 3.5" DSHD Mac-formatted Disks

Post by IFW »

A trivial question first: are you using a HD drive? It's not possible to read a HD disk in a DD drive.
As far as I remember those disks are written via a standard MFM controller, so should be readable as a generic MFM format, using -i4 image type.
If you are using the latest software (v2.4) there is a regression that affects HD disks specifically though, so in that case I'd recommend using v2.20 instead.
If you are still having problems please post the log and stream files.

CmdrArcturus

Post by CmdrArcturus »

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am using a HD drive, and I've tried the MFM format again with several different disks. Every time, I get images with lots of orange squares with an "H" in them. I've even gone as far as using the command line to try and image these disks from v2.40. How would I go about getting the v2.20?

brightcaster

Post by brightcaster »

This is okay! These sectors are valid but modified...

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince »

Correct, but in case you want to try 2.20: viewtopic.php?t=205#p7339

IFW

Post by IFW »

There is nothing wrong with getting H warnings - as brightcaster said, it just means a track has been modified on the disk since formatting or duplication (e.g. original game).