Amiga Longtrack Disks... success anyone?

All questions regarding the dumping of media go here.
LoopStar

Amiga Longtrack Disks... success anyone?

Post by LoopStar »

Hello everybody,

a few days ago I received my Kryoflux board, which I mostly bought to make an adf image of my beloved Turrican 2 disk (original version, no pirated 2 disk version or so). When dumping the file dtc said the disk was an "unformatted amiga" disk. So after searching a bit through the net I found out that Turrican 2 is most likely copy protected using the longtrack disk format. My question: is there any way to make a proper adf dump of this game? I'd hate to go back to the image Factor 5 offer on their website, since they seem to have left out the outro.

thanks in advance!

mr.vince

Re: Amiga Longtrack Disks... success anyone?

Post by mr.vince »

The game uses longtracks for protection. It is correct that this game could be dumped into something called Extended ADF. The issue is that such image can not be written back to disk as EADF is missing the additional information needed for this, e.g. missing definition of the proper track splice point etc. EADF also does not support density changes, something used pretty often.

KryoFlux can however write IPF files, which can store such information. You can request such image by sending in your dump data or by e.g. using a free STREAM to IPF implementation: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=324

I did not check if the format used by Turrican II is supported here, but it should be, or it should be fairly easy to implement.

IFW

Post by IFW »

Alternatively, just use the existing IPF which is made from a disk that was factory new :)

LoopStar

Post by LoopStar »

Thank you for the replies! Maybe I'll have another go tomorrow and try to get an IPF image by converting the stream files. Extended ADF would also be absolutely sufficient for me, as I don't have an Amiga anymore and I want to play it via UAE. So writing the dumped file back to disk is no neccessity for me. Also there's some sentimental reason for me to get an image of my own T2 disk: the scores I got when I played it back in the 90ies. So first I'll check if I can get a proper image from my old disk. If that fails I'll check on that factory-new IPF.

Thanks again for your help!

hello_kitty

Post by hello_kitty »

So did you solve your problem? I'm really interested in getting answear.

IFW

Post by IFW »

Yes, the IPF image has been available for years which allows playing in an emulator or writing back to a real disk.
These days you could also use a CT Raw image for emulation without any processing involved - just select CT Raw as the output format in DTC.

hello_kitty

Post by hello_kitty »

Thx for your reply.