Albedo from MYRIAD 1988

All questions regarding the dumping of media go here.
mr.vince

Re: Albedo from MYRIAD 1988

Post by mr.vince »

It's special. Needs reversing as IFW wrote.

dlfrsilver

Post by dlfrsilver »

mr.vince wrote:It's special. Needs reversing as IFW wrote.
thank you Vince :)

dlfrsilver

Post by dlfrsilver »

dlfrsilver wrote:
mr.vince wrote:It's special. Needs reversing as IFW wrote.
thank you Vince :)
EDIT : well it's no more special. The protection on this game has been writtten on a macintosh drive (got the infos from the protection creators), for which they got all the documentation.......

It involves variable speed, so i guess it's a GCR format or something like that ;)

Anyway this explain why the game was running on my A500, and why i was unable to warp or image it.

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince »

I'd consider Mac format used on an Amiga special... :)

Btw GCR and variable speed don't go hand in hand by design, and the Amiga does not work with variable speed. However there are many fancy things that can be done with varying bitcells widths and the built in PLL, see Dungeon Master. Predictable weak bits...

dlfrsilver

Post by dlfrsilver »

mr.vince wrote:I'd consider Mac format used on an Amiga special... :)

Btw GCR and variable speed don't go hand in hand by design, and the Amiga does not work with variable speed. However there are many fancy things that can be done with varying bitcells widths and the built in PLL, see Dungeon Master. Predictable weak bits...
but the amiga has built-in GCR reading ability (hardware), if i remember well from the amiga bible.

IFW

Post by IFW »

There is no difference between reading any kind of encoding at low level, as long as the reading itself is concerned, I guess the GCR bit in the hw switches the reference clock for data separation, if it does anything useful...

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince »

Maybe something like the first release of Katakis... 4us decoding cipher at start of track, then switch to 2us on the fly for rest of track.

dlfrsilver

Post by dlfrsilver »

mr.vince wrote:Maybe something like the first release of Katakis... 4us decoding cipher at start of track, then switch to 2us on the fly for rest of track.
mmh nice :) well ok, i stay tuned to what you'll discover ;)

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince »

No, not nice. Apparently impossible to verify on a Trace, at least never used again after this game. There for sure was a reason for this.

IFW

Post by IFW »

It's simply pointless, if you think about what kind of data you can really store recording at 2us and reading at 4us :)
Guessing the number there is trivial.