Please use: info files / dump scripts when submitting dumps

All questions regarding the dumping of media go here.
Rakki

Re: Please use: info files / dump scripts when submitting du

Post by Rakki » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:51 pm

Pheonix wrote:Oh great :( 246 dumps and not one done correctly. Well, back to the starting board it seems. Going to have to edit the batch files too, as a rather large number of my disks aren't 80 track disks. They're good enough for my personal archive, I'm sure, but I'm planning on submitting them as well. Will probably be easier to just re-dump them, though. I'm also trying to figure out how to get scans/pics of the disks, as I don't have a camera or a scanner available. While I have the disks, the boxes are ...well... boxed away in storage :(

Ack... Also, without the boxes, some of the answers above, I just don't know the answers too (version, etc...) I know, for example, that some of these came in a compilation, but I'm not sure which ones or which compilation they came with :(
What is your system? Scripts are not needed at all but might be useful. If you are planning to submit dumps you should submit ticket on SPS site. Dumping of the disks is not recommended before test dump is submitted and checked (to make sure that your drive alignment is in order). Camera is important because with photos its much easier to recognize the release.

C64 dumping contains a lot of important information and most of the information is generic:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=306

Pheonix

Re: Please use: info files / dump scripts when submitting du

Post by Pheonix » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:58 pm

Rakki wrote: What is your system? Scripts are not needed at all but might be useful. If you are planning to submit dumps you should submit ticket on SPS site. Dumping of the disks is not recommended before test dump is submitted and checked (to make sure that your drive alignment is in order). Camera is important because with photos its much easier to recognize the release.

C64 dumping contains a lot of important information and most of the information is generic:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=306
Well, I'm dumping on a PC, i3 3.2Ghz, 8G RAM, USB 3.0 with a Kryoflux. I have a JU-257A135P 3.5" drive with an unknown alignment, and a purchased flippy modded 5.25" drive that was cleaned, repaired, modded, and aligned by someone else. They both have been reading dumps just fine. The Amiga CT Raw files all work great in WinUAE, the C64 G64 files all work fine in the SPS modified VICE. All except the disks that had bad sectors that I couldn't get to read correctly (33 titles total of 246.) The bad reads also include the 1 Apple II and 1 Atari 8-Bit games I have. Of those, I'm not sure if the dumps are bad or if I'm just doing it wrong.

Hok of Remember

Re: Please use: info files / dump scripts when submitting dumps

Post by Hok of Remember » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:09 pm

Hi all,

I have finally finished 3 dumps/scans/info-files as a kind of "reference games" which I would like to upload and have them checked in order to get a feedback if everything is ok the way I did it. Especially concerning the raw-dump-data, of course, but also everything else going with it (for each of the games I have created 6 folders, namely: Box, Manual, Disk, Dump, Image,Info and filled them with content accordingly).

Of course I want to prevent dumping/scanning hundreds of my 2000+ C64 disk originals and afterwards getting the feedback that the work was more or less useless, because I did something wrong here or there.

So how is the correct actual way of submitting? Via ftp://contrib.softpres.org ? Should I create a folder with my name there and upload my stuff there? Do I have to inform somebody when I have uploaded something new? Who are the persons verifying and checking the stuff I send?

Where can I get some 100% dumps (.g64-images) in order to write back to some of my broken original disks?

Cheers.
Once upon a time

Feltzkrone

Post by Feltzkrone » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:30 pm

I have just sent you an email with FTP details in case you don't know them yet. The preferred folder structure is /DUMPS/<system>/<nickname>/<yyyy-mm-dd>. Folders starting from <nickname> can be created by yourself. The last directory should match the current date / date of upload. All we need to know is what nickname you have used, that you have made some reference uploads and the SPS memeber who currently has the most spare time left will take a look and tell you if everything is fine so you can continue uploading more stuff. The uploads are regularly checked by several SPS members with IFW doing most of the work, but there is no particular order in which they are checked. You don't need to inform us of every single upload or every single batch as we're keeping track of any changes on the FTP server. But feel free to ask for progress on specific titles etc.

IFW

Post by IFW » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:19 pm

Hok of Remember wrote:Hi all,

I have finally finished 3 dumps/scans/info-files as a kind of "reference games" which I would like to upload and have them checked in order to get a feedback if everything is ok the way I did it. Especially concerning the raw-dump-data, of course, but also everything else going with it (for each of the games I have created 6 folders, namely: Box, Manual, Disk, Dump, Image,Info and filled them with content accordingly).

Of course I want to prevent dumping/scanning hundreds of my 2000+ C64 disk originals and afterwards getting the feedback that the work was more or less useless, because I did something wrong here or there.

So how is the correct actual way of submitting? Via ftp://contrib.softpres.org ? Should I create a folder with my name there and upload my stuff there? Do I have to inform somebody when I have uploaded something new? Who are the persons verifying and checking the stuff I send?

Where can I get some 100% dumps (.g64-images) in order to write back to some of my broken original disks?

Cheers.
They look pretty good to me!
If you are doing scans, please keep the original files - which I guess are much higher DPI?

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:43 pm

Just to note, the dumps I uploaded early March are still in my directory on the FTP server. Is this correct, or has no one taken them to be processed?

I've uploaded four new files there now: Body Slam, Sleepwalker, Smash TV, and Duck Tales.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

IFW

Post by IFW » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:56 am

Yes, that's correct. Files on the FTP are only deleted once the FTP is fully synced and we start to run out of space...

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:03 pm

Gotcha... I tried to delete a directory I made in error, and move the files there to a new directory, but it didn't seem to let me? I guess there are certain limits to what I can do under "my" directory...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:25 pm

Yes. Just create a new one. You can not delete stuff...

dandee

Post by dandee » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:41 pm

Hey there.

Finally got an Kryoflux at the Amiga30th event in Neuss and want to dump my originals. As I am not allowed to write private messages by now, I just ask here, for an account to the ftp://contrib.softpres.org.

At the Amigaevent, I had a really nice chat with one the staff members... Who was it? Who was there? ;)

HOK: Nice to see you around. There must be some fine c64 dumps from your site.

cheers,
DaNDeE