Dumping PC DD/HD Disks

All questions regarding the dumping of media go here.
BarryB

Re: Dumping PC DD/HD Disks

Post by BarryB »

Any news yet? It's been quite a while and no feedback on those dumps yet?

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince »

We need to find a way to clone our devs... ;)

Bigger update in pipeline. Your dumps will be addressed...

BarryB

Post by BarryB »

Thanks, was wondering if they'd been forgotten :) I guess the same applies to those Amiga dumps I did as well!!

IFW

Post by IFW »

Sorry for the delay the past few weeks have been extremely busy...
Yes, the PC test dumps (Chuck Yeager and TP) have no problems whatsoever, so if your equipment hasn't changed everything is perfect, although 5.25 drives generally work better with the slow firmware.
I'd recommend updating to the latest firmware and host software first though - the slow firmware is the default in the latest update, so you shouldn't worry about that anymore.

IFW

Post by IFW »

What should be done about the Amiga files? Check if there is any problem?

BarryB

Post by BarryB »

Great news! It's going to take a while to dump all those disks but I don't think you're in any rush for them. As for the amiga disks, hopefully nothing will be wrong with them as I used the dumping templates. The only issue was with TIME Disk 1, I had some errors on a few blank tracks so maybe bit rot? Will I get IPF's of all these dumps at some point in time?

BarryB

Post by BarryB »

Right, I had a blitz over the weekend and managed to dump all those disks. Uploaded to /DUMPS/PC/BarryB/

I used 7Zip to compress the files as with a bit of tweaking it compresses far better than ZIP and much better than RAR. However, I ran into a problem uploading the last 3 dumps I did to the FTP for some reason, namely Arcade Pool[i386 VGA].7z, Mortal Kombat[i386 VGA].7z and Raptor - Call of the Shadows[i386 VGA].7z, they started uploading then said they already existed and created zero byte files? I created another directory with todays date (2013-02-11) and couldn't upload into that directory either? Can someone delete the zero byte files in /DUMPS/PC/BarryB/2013-02-10 and delete the files in /DUMPS/PC/BarryB/2013-02-11 so I can try again?

*UPDATE* Just checked the FTP and found those files deleted, thanks for the quick action, have now uploaded the remaining dumps in the 2013-02-10 folder.

IFW

Post by IFW »

BarryB wrote:Great news! It's going to take a while to dump all those disks but I don't think you're in any rush for them. As for the amiga disks, hopefully nothing will be wrong with them as I used the dumping templates. The only issue was with TIME Disk 1, I had some errors on a few blank tracks so maybe bit rot? Will I get IPF's of all these dumps at some point in time?
On duplication run of Time is known to have errors, so yours is probably one of those.
There is another version where everything is correct, but all the dumps we have of those are from modified disks.

IFW

Post by IFW »

The protection of Lemmings is not just an extra sector; it is Copylock for PC.
See a description here, it's the same in principle for your disk, making it possible to read the clock as well as data bits from the disk (which in theory is not possible, as the controller hardware rips the clock bits from the stream):
http://www.sarnau.info/atari:protection_turrican

BarryB

Post by BarryB »

Ah! Copylock PC, is it the same protection on TFX seeing as that is from Ocean and they used Copylock?

Irrespective of whether it can be written back to disk, have both those copy protected disks been dumped correctly or do I need to re-dump with different settings?