Dumping PC DD/HD Disks

All questions regarding the dumping of media go here.
BarryB

Dumping PC DD/HD Disks

Post by BarryB »

Have loads of IBM PC games, about 44 games totalling over 200 disks, on both DD/HD 3.5" floppy that I'd like to dump for SPS seeing as there is next to nothing in the way of IBM games in the database. I also have some 5.25" disks that came with some of the games but have no way of dumping them.

Currently using the dump script with some Amiga games I'm contributing but want to know if that can be modified to dump PC HD/DD disks? The manual gives an example of dumping PC disks using the -z2 -i4 options but what are the correct settings that should be in the dump script? Also, do you want 200+ dumps of PC disks :twisted:

Oh, yes, I do have a Kryoflux :lol:

IFW

Re: Dumping PC DD/HD Disks

Post by IFW »

If you post the command line you plan to use that would be useful :)
Generally speaking, PC games would use FM or MFM formats, 40 or 80 (or 77...) tracks and any number of sectors ;)
So the correct command really depends on the disk in practice, but knowing the year the game was published can help a lot.

...and yes, of course PC is just as interesting as any other platform.

Would be a good idea to make test dumps and see how they go.

BarryB

Post by BarryB »

Looking at the dump script and the manual I get this as a command to use:

dtc -fstream -i0 -i2 -v300 -d0

Does that look OK for 720k DD and 1.44MB HD PC disks? I did see -z2 -i4 as well but don't think that's a requirement dumping is it?

As for year, I think around early 90's.

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince »

You can omit -v300, it's not used for stream files. These are speed independent...

IFW

Post by IFW »

I'd definitely add guide formats to your dump commands - would save a lot of time on redumping hard to read disks ;)
Could someone please post some examples on that?

BarryB

Post by BarryB »

Have tried this command:

dtc -fdumpname -i0 -i2 -d0 -fdump.img -z2 -i4

This dumps and converts to IMG so any errors should be detected!

Ammended the dumpscript to insert: -f"%DTC_GameTitle%.img" -z2 -i4 and did a test dump which highlighted problems with putting quote " marks in the fields i.e. Media Type: 3.5" Floppy, this causes that field to be omitted from the created .TXT file.

Uploaded 2 Test Dumps: Trivial Pursuit (1.44mb) and Chuck Yeagers Air Combat Disk 1 (720k) into /KRYOFLUX_TESTDUMPS/BarryB

I also have two copy protected games on HD Floppy, TFX (Ocean) and Lemmings 2 (Psygnosis) that do give sector errors on Track 0 so didn't dump them, better to get normal DOS floppies dumping correctly first!!

kupa

Post by kupa »

dtc -fdumpname -i0 -i2 -d0 -fdump.img -z2 -i4

thanks for this ;)

IFW

Post by IFW »

Barry, will take a look at the test dumps possibly over the weekend, but please feel free to remind me :)

BarryB

Post by BarryB »

OK, I'll remind you seeing as it's over 2 weeks :)

BarryB

Post by BarryB »

Did you get time to check those dumps yet IFW?