Dungeon Master for Atari ST disk image produced by dtc.exe

All questions regarding the dumping of media go here.
Gothmog

Re: Dungeon Master for Atari ST disk image produced by dtc.e

Post by Gothmog »

What is preventing SPS from releasing IPF of these games? Is there any way we can help?
DrCoolZic

Post by DrCoolZic »

galibert wrote:
mr.vince wrote:
Gothmog wrote: Isn't there a more generic way of handling fuzzy bits that would apply to more copy protection schemes?
There is, but DM is the only game with this type of protection so deserves to be stored correctly.
You mean all the amiga games with weak bits do it through unformatted or out-of-alignment zones?

OG.
Not to mention "No flux reversal areas" that also produce fuzzy bits.
mr.vince

Post by mr.vince »

galibert wrote: You mean all the amiga games with weak bits do it through unformatted or out-of-alignment zones?
OG.
No, but as IFW outlined such behaviour is controlled via scripts. There are scripts for most weak bit protections that can be applied. IFW can go into detail if needed.
DrCoolZic

Post by DrCoolZic »

mr.vince wrote:No, but as IFW outlined such behaviour is controlled via scripts. There are scripts for most weak bit protections that can be applied. IFW can go into detail if needed.
This would be nice
galibert

Post by galibert »

DrCoolZic wrote:Not to mention "No flux reversal areas" that also produce fuzzy bits.
Not that many, cf. Turrican and friends.

OG.
galibert

Post by galibert »

mr.vince wrote:No, but as IFW outlined such behaviour is controlled via scripts. There are scripts for most weak bit protections that can be applied. IFW can go into detail if needed.
Well, I'm obviously interested. The support is Mess requires to be able to regenerate exactly what was on the floppy from the ipf file. And while the format is very good for everything else, it is somewhat, heh, weak in that area.

I realize it wasn't possible to know what was really going on before kryoflux, but now you do :-)

OG.
mr.vince

Dungeon Master for Atari ST disk image produced by dtc.exe

Post by mr.vince »

All weak bit methods were implemented before KF was made. Dungeon Master is known for many years. But like those four Psygnosis titles, the amount of work (the dull and boring type of work) to be done was kept for a rainy day.

We really would love to do more, but there are few who can help and we are all fully employed (not to bad these days). So we either get research assignments that pay the bills (no one here is looking for a Porsche...) or things are done when we find the time to do so.

Since time is running out, we prefer to dump and ingest now and keep all the rest for later. That e.g. kept the sources locked for so long. After we finally got this sorted, the release was only a matter of days.
DrCoolZic

Post by DrCoolZic »

As I said it would be interesting to know how things are done in IPF. But more importantly I would like to know if it is possible through the API to get the exact same behavior as from an actual FDC?

I am asking this stupid question because I do not yet understand why the -i4 option gives totally wrong bytes in the .st file on the sector with "DM fuzzy bits"
I am currently playing with the KFAnalyze version I mentioned before that display the data/clock bytes along the flux reversals (on selectable "image revolution") and results are not always what expected (at least I am surprised) ;)
Gothmog

Post by Gothmog »

And now I hope we get more rainy days ;-)
IFW

Post by IFW »

We have very un-rainy days recently due to the amount of work going towards C64 and now even Atari-8 bit preservation... :lol: