Dumping Help

All questions regarding the dumping of media go here.
plaxamate

Dumping Help

Post by plaxamate »

Hi again all!

This time, it's Visions of Aftermath, a Mindscape game. The dump "appears" fine to dtc except for track 0, side 0. I can create a psi file of this dump as well, however, the psi file acts strangely. I can insert it in PCE, install the game on the virtual hd, but it doesn't run at all. I'm actually not sure if the dump itself is bad or if this is copy protection. I lean toward copy protection because when I dumped it (twice), the same error occurred on track 0, side 0 every time.

Would someone please take a look at it? The raw files and PSI file (with the psi.exe txt file) are located at:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cmnhtko1lcrq ... cGYYa?dl=0

Thanks again for all the help!
ZrX

Re: Dumping Help

Post by ZrX »

Yup, it's a protection.

The track has 10 sectors instead of 9. Header states the last sector is #0, the usual 512 bytes but only has 256 bytes of data "DEM012345678 + some extra bytes" and a bad checksum.
brightcaster

Post by brightcaster »

There is also a single 128 byte sector on track 40 both sides which is not included in the psi file (contains only tracks 0 to 39)! Doesn't look like duplicator signature but copy protection (side 1 has side-id 0).

David
plaxamate

Post by plaxamate »

This is fascinating, so it appears that my disk was dumped correctly. How would you suggest I include the Track 40 in my PSI? Or is this non-emulatable at this time?

Rob
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

The sectors on track 40 are FM encoded, and therefore can not be used by anything on a normal IBM PC.

If you really wanted them in a PSI image, you would tell the PCE tools to decode track 40 by itself, as FM encoding rather than MFM and then merge the resulting PSI image with the existing PSI image containing the MFM part. The PCE tools have to be explicitly told to decode FM or MFM.

But it is not possible for this to be part of the copy protection, and is not needed for emulation.
plaxamate

Post by plaxamate »

OK, so the track 0 is the copy protection. Given that, it appears that it won't run Boom.exe, which is what is required to run the game. Like I said, it actually appears to install the game, but doesn't appear to work correctly. One of the interesting things in the documentation is that it states to copy your command.com to the disk first (which appears not to have happened on my original, happily).
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

The program (boom.exe) appeared to run and work in PCE when I ran it directly from the a: drive.

Although, when I tried to run the installer it complained that it was not the install disk.
plaxamate

Post by plaxamate »

So, I figured out a (way too weird) way to install it. I converted the PSI to TD0. I started up 86Box and created a new HD with DOS 3.3. I then put the TD0 into Floppy 1. To install the program, it's really non-intuitive. You cannot use Install (yeah, I know). According to the docs, you go to C prompt and type A:SETFIXED <NAME> where <NAME> is the name of the sub-directory to create. It installed perfectly, even though it said that I didn't have the original install disk. Once it installed, I was able to play the game. I also went ahead and moved that installed directory into my regular DosBox VirtualHD and played it perfectly from there. Thanks everyone for the help! I'm finally able to play my game!